Finding Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small program that tells me the status of downloads.
green = all ok
yellow = firewalled
black = not working.
my download is always yellow
I can not change the yellow to green and have disabled my router firewall
and made exeptions in windows firewall.
how do I find which program is using a firewall to slow me down

any help with this.

regards

You can not disable the router "firewall". Home routers do NAT by default and port blocking is inherent to that. You have to set up port forwarding on your router to make it transparent to certain applications.

Sorry Nodsu - on my Vigor I can turn it all off (as I can on various others I have set up). What might be a problem here is a conflict - make sure that you do not have any other firewalls running such as Windows, ZoneAlarm etc etc. You need only one and the best one is the one in the router.

bazhtg said:
I have a small program that tells me the status of downloads.
green = all ok
yellow = firewalled
black = not working.
The normal terms(for firewalled vs not working) are Stealthed or Blocked and the
difference between them is one gets no reply at all to a request to open the port.

When a firewall is 'terminated', it does NOT mean that everything is by default
OPEN and traffic will flow -- some program must be listening on a port before the
open request is honored. Thus a request for a specific port on a host w/o a
program listening will look exactly the same as a firewall that is blocking.

Your wording "tells me the status of downloads" is interesting as the connection
must be made before any data can be downloaded and thus all downloads will be
green by definition :)

AlbertLionheart said:
Sorry Nodsu - on my Vigor I can turn it all off (as I can on various others I have set up). What might be a problem here is a conflict - make sure that you do not have any other firewalls running such as Windows, ZoneAlarm etc etc. You need only one and the best one is the one in the router.
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html#disablenat

Do tell me more.. Did you install custom firmware on your router, putting it to bridge mode?

Nope - it is a bog standard Vigor2600VG. The firmware has been updated as it had to go back to Draytek for repair (it stopped working - they found an in-sect (sic) in it!). Thats what comes of living in the countryside....

The router is a belkin fd9320 if you request its IP address you can change anumber of setting including disabling the firewall
The monitering program starts Black then red,then yellow which tells me i am being firewalled even though I have disabled the router firewall and made exeptions in windows firewall. if no firewalls it should turn green and my download speed goes from 5kbs to 35-50kbs.

any help would be grateful.

Ah - it is a question of semantics. By 'firewalled' do you mean your firewall is actively defending your network?
I would normally take firewalled to mean that the network or system has a firewall in place.
Taking your meaning, this must be a Belkin feature unless it is something you downloaded yourself?

I guess I must be blunt; there is no way to tell if there is a firewall so you should
ignore this black,green, yellow stuff.

here is a site to test accesss

A system without any port forwarding into the lan will drop all packets and appear as STEALTH.

A system with port forwarding of port 80 (just and example) will show CLOSED
if there is no web server running on that port OR if the source IP is being blocked
by a firewall (notice: both conditions have the same result!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back