Computer crashed? OR?

learninmypc

I truthfully don't know how it happened, I woke up , my HP W11 desktop pc was working fine, the built in alarm woke me up, I sat down & went to click dismiss on the alarm & "poof" monitor light went from green to yellow/orangeish meaning no signal. The power on button was not lit up. This pc is about 2 or 3 years old, reset to factory once. I ended up unplugging the power cord, pushed the power on button in for a few seconds or so, plugged cord back in, pushed power on button & miraculously my pc came on. I HAD NOT TOUCHED the pc at all till it shut down. IF this requires the event viewer, please give easy to understand directions, I am typing this from said pc, thanks for the help

To find Event Viewer, right-click on the Start button and you should see it listed there (or press Win + X to get the same list).

When it opens up, select Windows Logs in the left-hand menu, then in the Actions window on the right, click Create Custom View.

In the Logged drop-down menu, select an appropriate timeframe (e.g. last 24 hours) -- make sure the timeframe covers the period when your PC shutdown. Then select the Critical, Warning, and Error check boxes underneath.

Finally, in the Event logs drop-down menu, check the box for Windows logs.

It will ask you to save this custom view, but don't worry about giving it a special name. All of the relevant logs will then be listed in the main window -- there will be a lot of them, so it may take some time to scroll to something pertinent.

Depends on how many log entries you have -- if it's getting onto here is going to be really awkward, let alone having to then trawl through them. On the other hand, if it's just a few, then take a screenshot and upload it.

But without clicking on each log and seeing the individual details, there's little anyone can really do to help. I'm afraid you'll need to check them yourself, though it's not very hard to do.

For example, I experience a BSOD last week, while playing a game -- something that I'd not experienced in years. So I went through the logs and noticed a piece of software that runs in the background experienced a critical error. I checked the software, and discovered it was about 1.5 years out of date -- one quick update later and no sign of any more BSODs or other issues.

Depends on how many log entries you have -- if it's getting onto here is going to be really awkward, let alone having to then trawl through them. On the other hand, if it's just a few, then take a screenshot and upload it.

But without clicking on each log and seeing the individual details, there's little anyone can really do to help. I'm afraid you'll need to check them yourself, though it's not very hard to do.

For example, I experience a BSOD last week, while playing a game -- something that I'd not experienced in years. So I went through the logs and noticed a piece of software that runs in the background experienced a critical error. I checked the software, and discovered it was about 1.5 years out of date -- one quick update later and no sign of any more BSODs or other issues.
Ok, I asked because I have no idea how to "read" any of them. I'm grateful its working normal now & thanks for the easy to follow directions(y) (Y)

Back