First Xbox One TV ad highlights NFL partnership, Skype and TV integration -- zero gaming action

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re concerned that Microsoft may be positioning the Xbox One as more of an entertainment device than a video game console, the system’s first television commercial to air in North America won’t help you feel any more at ease. That’s because the 30-second spot doesn’t showcase a single second of gaming action.

Instead, the advertisement focuses on several other features of the console including watching live sports, voice control, fantasy football integration with customizable highlights and Skype. Specifically, the commercial keys in on Microsoft’s partnership with the National Football League which is even more evident by its timely arrival on the same day the NFL season kicks off.

Positioning the Xbox One as an all-around media device isn’t a surprise really as Microsoft basically revealed as much from the get-go. The system will feature full voice and gesture support thanks to a revised Kinect sensor and the ability to watch live television as it essentially will replace your cable or satellite set-top box complete with a custom guide that looks worlds better than anything your cable provider offers.

The $499.99 Xbox One will be available starting November 22, a full week before the PlayStation 4 is launched in most markets. The lone exception is in North America where Sony will have a one week jump on the Xbox One and a $100 lower price point.

Permalink to story.

LOL. Microsoft is so fail.

I just hope they don't continue to be this stupid, because without any real competition, the Sony won't have to try as hard, which will only hurt us, the consumers.

"the system?s first television commercial to air in North America won?t help you feel any more at ease"
And why the hell would I need to feel at ease? Would their showing people play Madden suddenly make you feel more at ease? Seriously, who on Earth is actually nervous about the Xbox One being able to play games? What, is it a Phillips CD-I? Everyone knows that an Xbox plays video games. Everyone. Why would you be nervous that your gaming console also can do a bunch of other things and that the manufacturer is wanting to highlight those other things that the console can do in order to bring awareness? If you ask me, the Xbox One needs more of this kind of advertisement: Actual demonstration to the masses of its features. If that commercial is unsettling to you, then you have some serious issues.

Is this really news,it's a freaking video game and they r showing what else it can do beside just play game how is dat bad.how many cell phone ads do u hear ppl making call?they just show u wat more the phone can do beside make the obvious ie call

The bashing XBOX one fad has passed. It is time to find something else to knock Microsoft about. I mean we have done windows 8, Xbox One, WP app store, Surface RT and others. what is the next thing? I am waiting with bated breath.

Why does this not surprise me? We are dealing with MS here...

No kidding... remember the Surface ads? Dancing, clicking trendy students (I assume) all tossing around their tablets. Now we have a nice McDonald's-esque multiracial commercial that is as nauseatingly trendy as as the Nissan commercial I saw 6 times during the Broncos game last night. What is that a rail-car coffee table? It makes me feel the same way as the Nissan Versa commercial did...'I'm not cool enough to own one of those.'

So dumb commercial aside... That does look like a cool interface with NFL games. And don't forget that the Blu-ray player that sold a ton of PS3's also had nothing to do with gaming, so don't discount the extra features as a way to move units.

It would be nice to see at least one Advert that promotes it as a games console though, if you take that advert at face value, it essentially says "I can add an Internet Explorer Overlay and skype calls on your TV". Then whoever wants to buy it for that will then see the price (£430) and think its completely over priced for just those features, If they at least showed, I don't know, Forza and maybe some Xbox Live integration features, then yeah, at least the adverts covers everything, not just skype and bloody sports stuff...

To those saying its just outlining the features of the console... wow blantant fanboyism right their who wants to a advert advertising that it can act as a expensive tv might aswell make a good advert showing the console playing games, tv shows, skype etc. doesn't have to be a 9year long advert just a min or 3min short advert.

I mean come on if your gonna atleast advertise it don't miss out all the crucial parts I wont be getting the xbox one due to the massive fail M$ already put on it as its still there just dormant a sleeper agent and currently the console is poor very poor in fact its too big too costly and overall just bad the PS4 is $100 cheaper yet 40-50% more powerful.

The bashing XBOX one fad has passed. It is time to find something else to knock Microsoft about. I mean we have done windows 8, Xbox One, WP app store, Surface RT and others. what is the next thing? I am waiting with bated breath.

MS is easy to rip on because they try too hard. MS is the dorky kid in school who wears the same clothes as the cool kids to try to fit in. And like the dorky kid, we know their 4.0 and genius IQ will mean turn out just fine, so we don't feel like we're ridiculing the dorky kid who's also a bit dim. The Surface (Pro) is a pretty cool product, and the XB1 will sell great.

Have you seen the Surface vs. the iPad commercial where the Siri voice'd iPad is all insecure? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7AQY5Xk9w) Notably absent is the user experience of each tablet with it's respective app library.
MS just tries too hard and they end up looking foolish.

MS is easy to rip on because they try too hard. MS is the dorky kid in school who wears the same clothes as the cool kids to try to fit in. And like the dorky kid, we know their 4.0 and genius IQ will mean turn out just fine, so we don't feel like we're ridiculing the dorky kid who's also a bit dim. The Surface (Pro) is a pretty cool product, and the XB1 will sell great.

Have you seen the Surface vs. the iPad commercial where the Siri voice'd iPad is all insecure? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE7AQY5Xk9w) Notably absent is the user experience of each tablet with it's respective app library.
MS just tries too hard and they end up looking foolish.

Sorry all I saw was a advert about microsofts old text to speech sound with a ipad and surface non-pro where they showed a surface with the worst possible OS RT AKA useless and it was just awkward to watch as it was literally the worst advert ever showed nothing.

Also I don't see why microsoft had to put out a tablet OS that people if they knew what the OS entailed would avoid it then put out another OS that is the king of tablet OS's but with a 70% increase in price.

I would dish out on a surface pro but at that price screw that I would rather buy a laptop with a touchscreen for that price its like putting a $400 laptop at a price tag of $800 then a plastic thin keyboard at $100 when it should be $30 its pathetic prices like that that made them do a $800 million write-off when they made even less than that $800 million write-off its beyond stupidity.

No kidding... remember the Surface ads? Dancing, clicking trendy students (I assume) all tossing around their tablets. Now we have a nice McDonald's-esque multiracial commercial that is as nauseatingly trendy as as the Nissan commercial I saw 6 times during the Broncos game last night. What is that a rail-car coffee table? It makes me feel the same way as the Nissan Versa commercial did...'I'm not cool enough to own one of those.'

So dumb commercial aside... That does look like a cool interface with NFL games. And don't forget that the Blu-ray player that sold a ton of PS3's also had nothing to do with gaming, so don't discount the extra features as a way to move units.

Yup, exactly.

Pfft you're so off. The BluRay in the PS3 allowed for greater storage space for games. Plus the fact Sony CREATED Blue Ray, so why wouldn't in be in the PS3? Face it MS has no idea about gaming, never has. Look at what they did. They are the default OS on 92% of PC in the world. So how hard would it for them to create PC games and then port them to whatever console is popular? But no they get into the money losing console market, ignore the PC entirely, even though they OWN the lions marketshare! Clowns at the top of MS is why they continue to lose. Sony just gave the world what is has always given, killer hardware that is intended for the gaming populous. They didn't come out and claim the PS3 is the entertainment center of the living room. They just created a killer piece of hardware and let the public decide how they use it. Nothing force feed from Sony, MS could learn something from them.

Why does this not surprise me? We are dealing with MS here...

Pfft you're so off. The BluRay in the PS3 allowed for greater storage space for games. Plus the fact Sony CREATED Blue Ray, so why wouldn't in be in the PS3? Face it MS has no idea about gaming, never has. Look at what they did. They are the default OS on 92% of PC in the world. So how hard would it for them to create PC games and then port them to whatever console is popular? But no they get into the money losing console market, ignore the PC entirely, even though they OWN the lions marketshare! Clowns at the top of MS is why they continue to lose. Sony just gave the world what is has always given, killer hardware that is intended for the gaming populous. They didn't come out and claim the PS3 is the entertainment center of the living room. They just created a killer piece of hardware and let the public decide how they use it. Nothing force feed from Sony, MS could learn something from them.

Pfft. You so missed my point. Which, when I reread what I wrote I concede wasn't very clear. The point was, people were buying PS3 simply for the Blu Ray player. Back around 2006 and 2007 Blu-Rays had crappy up-converting and were like $250 or more. The Blu Ray player in the PS3 was high quality and well priced (and came with a gaming console!), so people were buying PS3s just for the Blu ray. That means MS knows people buy consoles for more than just gaming, and that's why their commercial highlighted something besides games.

The console market maybe a loser, but the games market is a huge winner and you can't make money on games without a console to play them on.

It's a bit of a stretch to call MS losers while Sony develops the 'killer hardware' As of the start of 2013, Sony had sold 77 million PS3s to MS's 76 million Xboxs and 24 million Kinects. Not exactly a rout for either side.

And regarding why MS doesn't stick to PC gaming? PC sales haven't been doing so well in recent years and MS doesn't get a cut of software, like games, sold that runs on windows. They do get a cut from game sales that run on the Xbox.

You said MS continues to lose. According to the financials, in 2011 MS made $23 billion, Sony lost $3 billion, in 2012 MS made $17 Billion, Sony lost 5.5 billion. In 2013 MS made almost $22 billion and Sony made almost $500 million.

I'm no MS fanboy (Go read my comments about their Surface ads), but they're doing ok despite their minor recent failures. Sony on the other hand looks like it could use a home run with the PS4.

"And regarding why MS doesn't stick to PC gaming? PC sales haven't been doing so well in recent years"

Is this a serious comment?

PC gaming hardware sales are doing well and expected to grow even more:
http://www.techpowerup.com/188572/g...re-sales-shrug-off-pc-market-decline-jpr.html

PC gaming software sales are now $20 billion and are expected to grow to $25.6 billion by 2016:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

MS's console proposition appeals largely to the North American crowd. Most people outside NA could care less about American football and TV integration. Right now for a gamer, MS's console has a 40-50% less powerful GPU, more expensive XBLG, non-upgradable HDD and what most likely be a repeat of PS2-PS3 vs. XB-360 situation of worse 1st party exclusives.

For a PC gamer it makes a lot more sense to pick up PS4 for its exclusives because it appears a lot of XB1 exclusives will be on the PC anyway.

This is the FIRST commercial. M$ is more than likely waiting to put better game footage as it's produced. Giving an all in ONE entertainment product is the point they are trying to get at. It's not just a gaming console. Yes we all know GAMING consoles have been capable of more than gaming for a while, more than likely though, only if you're already gamer. Consoles are getting more advanced. Gamers aren't the only targets anymore folks.

Back