Floppy Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey WOW! Inagural post...

Has anyone had a floppy drive completely inaccessable & with the light locked on?

It refuses to access in XP or on bootup and I need it in bootup to install 98 on my 2nd drive so I can video capture again. The cables are the newer *****-proof ones so there's no way I've put them in upside down. Typically you can't install 98 whilst in XP, it just bitches. I was gonna install it to my 2nd HD anyway so XP has no reason to feel threatened. Damn jealous OS'.

Has anyone else had this problem AND SOLVED IT?(I've heard of a dozen who have but none who have fixed...)

It's imperitive that I have a 98 system for video capture (since it's at least 35% of my computer's job). If necessary i'll disconnect the XP drive & install 98 on my 2nd drive but then I'd have to either edit every bootup file or remove the XP drive whenever I needed to cap...

Oh by the way, both floppy drives I tested WORK. No doubt there.

I just thought... Could the fact that one HD is on the RAID channel (But not actually using it as a raid drive) be affecting the floppy controller at all?

Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------
System Information
------------------
CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz
MOBO: Abit KT7A RAID (Current 4in1s & bios)
HD: 40GHz Seagate, 30GHz seagate. Different channels
CD: LG CDRW, Pioneer DVD
Floppy: Generic crappy 3.5 drive
VID: Leadtek Geforce 2MX
SND: Creative Live DE

I've had this problem before

.. And it still goes totally unexplained. The first time this happened, I had to actually cut off the notch on the floppy cable so I could flip it around the other way. THEN it works.

When I upgraded my computers to an Athlon XP system, it no longer worked with any cables. At the current time, I have no floppy drive.

There shall be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millenium Falcon....

Originally posted by Rick
.. And it still goes totally unexplained. The first time this happened, I had to actually cut off the notch on the floppy cable so I could flip it around the other way. THEN it works.

Yip! No access to the drive and the light locked on constantly is a classic case of the cable being the wrong way round on the connector to the drive (not the motherboard end)

Are you SURE this isn't the wrong way round? Have you turned it around anyway??

Re: There shall be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millenium Falcon....

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Yip! No access to the drive and the light locked on constantly is a classic case of the cable being the wrong way round on the connector to the drive (not the motherboard end)

Are you SURE this isn't the wrong way round? Have you turned it around anyway??

Agreed all you have to do it just flip flop the cable from your MOBO. I had this problem and was dumbfounded, but after a little messing around with it, I found the problem. Just switch the cable going to the Floppy drive 180 degrees and everything should be okay, if not post back and we'll figure something else out.

Well, this is the 3rd time I've heard this advice today from friends & forums combined so I'm definitely gonna give it a go next time I can be bothered messing with cables.

Thanks

Just be sure the twisted part of the cable is closest to your floppy drive...That's probably the problem. If not, a new floppy is $12 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back