Problems with finding a USB drriver running Windows 98SE

Hi everyone,
I have recently bought a refurbished HP DC7700 SFF desktop which comes fitted with a DVD drive and two USB sockets and on which I have installed a copy of Windows 98SE. Everything appears to be working as expected including a generic 3.5" floppy drive plugged into one of the USB sockets. The problem I have however is with finding a driver for the memory stick plugged into the second USB socket. From a cold start I get the conventional Win 98 screen display but trouble starts on plugging in the memory stick when I get the dreaded blue screen and the error message:

"Invalid vxd dynamic link call from ntmaphlp (02) + 00000002 to device "004f", service 1. Your windows configuration is invalid, Run the windows setup program again to correct this problem. To continue running windows press y or enter. To quit the current program press n. If you continue running windows your system may become unstable".

It gives me a blue screen regardless of what option I choose and the only way out is to CTL/ALT/DEL to return to the Win screen. It also runs fine after I remove the drive and reboot. I understand that 2.0 flash drives are backwards compatible, so it should work with old computers with 1.1 usb ports. It works fine with an old laptop running Windows XP.

I presume I need to find the required driver as it does not appear to be present on the Win 98SE CD I have used for the installation.

One complication is that I am using the PC as a stand-alone unit I.e. not connected to the internet and so any drivers that might be 'out there' wouuld need to be in a form which I could first copy onto a CD from my office PC and then as a second operation, copy it over to the HP.

I do hope that someone can come to the rescue
Kind regards

Success! - The dinosaur now lives. I followed the links provided and have successfully been able to installed the device drivers.
I now have a fully functional Computer.
Many thanks for your help

Back