For the first time ever, Bill Gates is no longer Microsoft's largest shareholder

Shawn Knight

Staff member

bill gates microsoft ballmer steve ballmer stock shareholder

For the first time in the nearly 40-year history of Microsoft, co-founder Bill Gates isn’t the company’s largest shareholder. That title now belongs to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer thanks to a Gates stock sale that was made public on Friday.

According to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Gates parted ways with 4.6 million shares on April 30. Each share was valued at $40.34 at the time of the sale, the listing notes. Following the sale, Gates still owns 330,141,164 or a little less than four percent of the entire company.

He’s sold off around $3.4 billion in shares since the company’s initial public offering way back in 1986 and recently topped the Forbes billionaire list with a net worth of $76 billion.

Ballmer, meanwhile, owns more than 333 million shares which equates to a value of around $13.2 billion based on share value at the close of trading on Friday. His total net worth is somewhere around $18.9 billion according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

It was only a matter of time before Gates relinquished the top shareholder spot as he has been selling off stock in the company he helped to create for years. He’s used proceeds from such stock sales to help fund the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, a philanthropic effort in which he’s donated more than $28 billion to since forming in 1994 (formerly known as the William H. Gates Foundation).

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the shares as the dividends would greatly increase the amount of cash he would have gotten if he hadnt had sold his shares?

Specially seeing as he only gained a meager $184mill from selling those 4.6mill shares so wouldn't his cash earned in total be greater if he kept the shares and got the dividens or am I wrong in thinking dividens are worth it?

How is EmBallmer's net worth so far off that of BillG if he owns more M$ shares? Does BillG own heaps of other assets I've never heard about, but Forbes did?

Yes, the majority of Gates' wealth is through other investments and has been for a long time.

Never thought I would see this day, I would have thought that I would see this unless Bill Gates passed away. But then again he has been selling off his shares so its to be expected.

Mr. ballmer was 'forced out' of his CEO position yet still he commands a very large sum of money, a tiny fraction of which I'll never see in this lifetime or the next or even if I live a thousand lives.

bill gates = real-life santa. may he have more success.

I am like failing to even give a fraction of a ****, big time. Seriously, this was worth an article?
Nobody forced you to click on the article, read it, or even leave a comment. Considering you did all 3 of those, I'd wager you give somewhat of a ****.

Somehow, some way, I think Ballmer has something on Gates, and he's blackmailing him.

I had thought Bill Gates retired, and left Ballmer in charge as a practical joke. Now I'm not so sure.

Dividends are nice, but are rarely given out regularly. I'm guessing he needed cash fast, and he's been offloading MS shares for a long time anyway, so there.

This isn't really news, aside from him not being the largest shareholder. He's been selling off 20mil shares each quarter for over 10 years now. Although this might of been a special sales of shares this time. He's been on track for a long time to be out of shares I think it's by 2020. Which I think makes sense as he would be 65 by then.

Guys, guys, guys, can't you see he is relinquishing his post and moving onwards with life… when you have 76Billion in the bank who cares about majority shares… listed below was the charitable organization that he is now more interested in. He is moving on and now watch sales decrease… watch out for the fire sale… or discounted shares that will come … mark my words…

Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the shares as the dividends would greatly increase the amount of cash he would have gotten if he hadnt had sold his shares?

Specially seeing as he only gained a meager $184mill from selling those 4.6mill shares so wouldn't his cash earned in total be greater if he kept the shares and got the dividens or am I wrong in thinking dividens are worth it?

Back