Ford, Chevy and Jeep among automakers hardest hit by chip shortage

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: The ongoing semiconductor shortage has hit the tech sector especially hard, but it’s not just gadget and computer makers that are feeling the squeeze. Automakers have also had to scale back production in response to the silicon shortage.

According to a recent report from Automotive News (via Car and Driver), it is estimated that as of May 2021, Ford has taken nearly 110,000 F-Series trucks out of production. Jeep, meanwhile, has nixed an estimated 98,584 Cherokees and Chevrolet has made an estimated 81,833 fewer Equinox SUVs than originally planned.

Per Car and Driver, the industry is somewhat responsible for the current situation.

When factories started shutting down and new-car sales slowed during the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic in the first half of 2020, many automakers canceled orders for microchips destined for future builds. Customers in other industries took advantage of the excess chipmaking capacity, and now, automakers are struggling to re-secure the silicon they need for things like onboard computers and infotainment systems for new vehicles.

Some of the world’s largest contract chipmakers are investing large sums of money to counter the global shortage, but even so, it’s not an issue that can be alleviated overnight.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said in April that he believes it could take a couple of years before the issue is fully resolved. TSMC just days ago said its $12 billion chip manufacturing facility in Arizona should be operational in 2024.

Image credit Zapp2Photo

Permalink to story.

What idi ot buys a Chevy Equinox, they are pretty much the worst vehicle in its class. Let alone how unreliable the older versions were. All the old 2.4l ecotecs are doomed to die an early death. Its a when, not if. Granted the new ones are much much better, they are still crap. The comparable vehicle for pretty much every other car brand is a better buy in nearly every way.

Jeep isn't an automaker, Jeep is brand owned by Crystler. Crystler is the automaker. FFS, Shawn, I can tell what articles you wrote just from the title

Automobile manufacturers (typically USA) are about some of the most short sighted CEO types in the world.
So true, except ironically for Tesla. Though sometimes they make some short sighted, stupid decisions.
Jeep isn't an automaker, Jeep is brand owned by Crystler. Crystler is the automaker. FFS, Shawn, I can tell what articles you wrote just from the title
First of all it’s “Chrysler”, and second it’s a Dutch company called Stellantis, or a conglomerate of Fiat/Chrysler and Peugeot/Citroën… We can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you like.

There are also lots full of trucks waiting for chips. The price of the chips are a mere ~$1 if the video I watched wasn't lying.

So true, except ironically for Tesla. Though sometimes they make some short sighted, stupid decisions.

First of all it’s “Chrysler”, and second it’s a Dutch company called Stellantis, or a conglomerate of Fiat/Chrysler and Peugeot/Citroën… We can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you like.
What's worse is that "Jeep" and "Ram" are worth more than Chrysler, Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen combined...

Lots of people want to carve out Jeep/Ram and let the rest rot on the vine.

On the other hand combining them all under one roof gives them a chance to rebuild each brand one at a time. If they do it right they will be a force to recon with.

Consider how AMD used ATI and the consoles as a life boat until they got their act together.
Stellantis is going to do the same with Jeep/Ram. I wish them well.
(BTW I work for a supplier in the automotive industry so I keep tabs on this stuff.)

What idi ot buys a Chevy Equinox, they are pretty much the worst vehicle in its class. Let alone how unreliable the older versions were. All the old 2.4l ecotecs are doomed to die an early death. Its a when, not if. Granted the new ones are much much better, they are still crap. The comparable vehicle for pretty much every other car brand is a better buy in nearly every way.
My 2010 Chevy Equinox would say you are wrong, it is still going strong after 11 years on the road and it still performs and looks great.

My 2010 Chevy Equinox would say you are wrong, it is still going strong after 11 years on the road and it still performs and looks great.
Well if you never got GM to replace your piston's for gummed up rings because of high oil consumption, I would think about getting rid of it. Like I said these vehicles are built cheaply, look really outdated for their age, and get poor gas mileage. Plus the AWD versions are a joke, the on demand system was just as bad as Honda's CVR around this same time. They went back to full time for a reason.

I've never seen one with 80k+ miles that doesn't use oil, unless it was fixed by the TSB under warranty. They would have replaced the pistons with corrected versions. These Ecotecs are trash, and same goes for the ones in their cars. DI pump is cam driven and likes to leak gas into the oil. The PCV valve likes to get clogged up and fill the intake manifold with oil. High oil consumption means by the time the oil change is due the oil level is nearly non existent. Chain Stretches, gets out of timing, gives CEL.

I see these model years all over auto yards all with bad engines.

The Ford Escape on the other hand has had the track record of both the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4. There is a reason most people who wanted American went the Ford Escape route, they still litter the streets and rarely ever see one in the autoyards with bad engine. Only downfall is the timing belt on the old 3 cylinder. But most came with a 4 banger, and both are extremely hard to kill. I see these everywhere. I hardly see Equinox's from that period. Just Google GM 2.4L Lawsuits if you want to know more.

As your Equinox no doubt is a Oil Eater, and the idea that if I just keep adding it I will be fine is a bandaid.

Well if you never got GM to replace your piston's for gummed up rings because of high oil consumption, I would think about getting rid of it. Like I said these vehicles are built cheaply, look really outdated for their age, and get poor gas mileage. Plus the AWD versions are a joke, the on demand system was just as bad as Honda's CVR around this same time. They went back to full time for a reason.

I've never seen one with 80k+ miles that doesn't use oil, unless it was fixed by the TSB under warranty. They would have replaced the pistons with corrected versions. These Ecotecs are trash, and same goes for the ones in their cars. DI pump is cam driven and likes to leak gas into the oil. The PCV valve likes to get clogged up and fill the intake manifold with oil. High oil consumption means by the time the oil change is due the oil level is nearly non existent. Chain Stretches, gets out of timing, gives CEL.

I see these model years all over auto yards all with bad engines.

The Ford Escape on the other hand has had the track record of both the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4. There is a reason most people who wanted American went the Ford Escape route, they still litter the streets and rarely ever see one in the autoyards with bad engine. Only downfall is the timing belt on the old 3 cylinder. But most came with a 4 banger, and both are extremely hard to kill. I see these everywhere. I hardly see Equinox's from that period. Just Google GM 2.4L Lawsuits if you want to know more.

As your Equinox no doubt is a Oil Eater, and the idea that if I just keep adding it I will be fine is a bandaid.
I had the recall work done and it has never needed a quart of oil between oil changes.

Back