Ford's all-electric E-Transit van offers 126 miles of range for $45,000

Polycount

Staff
Forward-looking: Ford is delving further into the world of electric vehicles with its latest announcement: the 2022 E-Transit van, an all-electric vehicle capable of driving up to 126 miles on a single charge. It hits the market next year with a $45,000 price tag, making it a compelling offering for commercial customers.

Since the new E-Transit is an EV, there's no massive engine to lug around, freeing up space for extra cargo. It has about 317 pound-feet of torque, 266 horsepower, and it's expected to be capable of carrying up to 3,800 pounds of cargo (across 487.3 cubic feet of space) before it starts to chug. That number increases to 4,290 pounds for "cutaway" versions of the vehicle.

Both AC and DC fast charging are supported here, and as Cnet reports, the E-Transit can use the latter to gain about 30 miles of range after a mere 10-minute charge. That's lightning-fast, and it could help commercial customers keep their vehicle fleets going with minimal downtime.

One particularly exciting feature with the E-Transit is its built-in power plugs toward the rear of the van. By opening up the back doors and looking to your right, you'll see an array of ports that you can use to charge devices or even run energy-guzzling power tools.

From an outward design perspective, there's nothing too fancy about the E-Transit: it looks like an ordinary van. However, that's hardly a bad thing, especially for the customers Ford is targeting here -- a construction worker or delivery driver is unlikely to care about their vehicle's aesthetics.

On the inside, though, a standout feature is the 12-inch touchscreen display. It's unclear what software the display will be running (whether it's Ford's own or something like Android Auto), nor do we know all of its features, but at the very least, it will offer "enhanced voice recognition" and "cloud-enhanced navigation."

There are a handful of autopilot features included in the E-Transit, such as intelligent lane-keeping, automated emergency brakes, and adaptive cruise control with "speed sign recognition."

If none of this has sold you yet, perhaps the E-Transit's generous warranty will. When you buy one of these vehicles, you'll get an eight-year, 100,000-mile EV component warranty at no additional cost, which is a pretty good deal.

Permalink to story.

Ha Ha Ha omfg what a useless POS.
Minmum range needs to be 600 for me, but even then, I don't want electric cars, I want countries to realise this is just another waste of time money making scheme to prolong caras, which need to be removed completely. Sure lets keep churning out millions and millions of these freaking things and wasting resources, harming the planet.

I see no hope for mankind or this planet. I think we have definitely past the point of no return.

I don't know in what universe this going to work... But in Ireland people buy Ford Transit to drive the $hit out of it, till it falls apart. And they do not have time to waste at recharging points.

126 miles of range is some kind of joke that I do not get, and neither will business people who buy such vehicles. When you need to get to 10 clients in a day, and make 1000km, what do you do with this piece of crap?

Minmum range needs to be 600 for me, but even then, I don't want electric cars, I want countries to realise this is just another waste of time money making scheme to prolong caras, which need to be removed completely. Sure lets keep churning out millions and millions of these freaking things and wasting resources, harming the planet.

I see no hope for mankind or this planet. I think we have definitely past the point of no return.
He says by typing on the internet.

Since the new E-Transit is an EV, there's no massive engine to lug around, freeing up space for extra cargo.

So is the gasoline powered Transit a mid engine vehicle (for better track performance) or is there a cargo compartment under the hood now ? Other than that I don‘t see how going electric in the existing body would free up space for cargo.

Edit: Obviously removing the drive train would free up space (for rwd and awd models), batteries can also be distributed differently vs a fuel tank, but unless it‘s a VW bus type vehicle, removing the gasoline engine won‘t in the Transit‘s case.

In a rear engined VW bus, this would free up tons of space.

Last edited:
A range that low is not promising. Electric cars ararely get their promised range, and you have to factor in outside temperatures, HVAC usage, and payload. I'd be surprised if, fully loaded in the summer, this thing went mroe then 70 miles total.
Is the 126mi of range include being weighed down with 3,800 lbs of cargo?

Theverge reports this is also elligible for a $7,500 federal EV tax credit, atleast for awhile
TFL truck tried towing a 4500lbs trailer with a model X, and even with a shorter trailer for aerodynamics range fell to at most 120 miles, on mostly flat ground. So this 126 miles, with heavy cargo, would probably be closer to 50.
126 miles isn’t terrible. For $45,000 if you have a place to charge it- or a business.

A laundry service or a food delivery could make a killing with these.
Most laundry or food delivery services I can think of are not going to have the money for one of these. $45K is a LOT for a van, and that's the base price. That's not including anything else you need. The standard cargo starts off at $34,500. A $10500 premium to get a smaller range and the inability ot refuel any time of day is a steep ask. I mean, delivery vehicles may only travel int he city, but 126 miles can easily be hit by lunch time if you are servicing many people/businesses.

So your ideal version of this is one with a 600 mile range, but also wouldnt exist ebcause cars shouldnt exist?

Do you propose we grow jet engines in our anuses? Cars are kind of necessary for people to move around, unless you want to pack them like sardines into megacities so diseases like coronavirus can tear through them.

I don't know in what universe this going to work... But in Ireland people buy Ford Transit to drive the $hit out of it, till it falls apart. And they do not have time to waste at recharging points.

126 miles of range is some kind of joke that I do not get, and neither will business people who buy such vehicles. When you need to get to 10 clients in a day, and make 1000km, what do you do with this piece of crap?
I guarantee in big cities such as Dublin and London these will be bought in mass, especially for courier services from DPD, DHL etc.

One particularly exciting feature with the E-Transit is its built-in power plugs...by opening up the back doors and looking to your right, you'll see an array of ports that you can use to charge devices or even run energy-guzzling power tools.
Since many gas-powered commercial vans also provide this feature, I'm not sure why it's so exciting.

126 miles? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
You're absolutely right that this is a non-starter for most applications. But for those in which it isn't, this will almost certainly be a money-saving alternative -- and one which will net them some cheap PR among the pseudo-intelligentsia.

It is not a product for rural areas, the distance covered is obviously too great. However, for big towns and cities where the driver will go less than a mile before stopping then electric makes sense. It is not just for carbon emissions, the particulates and other pollutants that you get from diesel engines are really bad for the local air. This will help with that and you can continue to drive ICE vans for long deliveries.

Not a bad starting point. This could be the basis of the future USPS delivery vans, focused towards urban centers first. A lot of people are scoffing at the range but Ford isn't fumbling around in the dark here they have been building these work vehicles for some time now and prob have a lot of data on the average day mileage in an urban environment. Go check out all the electric vehicle charging stations in metro LA and SF. Having worked at gas stations before I have seen utility vans and workers in and out on 10-15 min stops all the time, usually getting a snack and something to drink, using the bathroom. Then factor in how many stop at places like McDonald's for lunch and that's another 30 min they can be plugged in. The 5 min 15 mile ability is decent (saw another article saying 15 min for 45 miles) so a 30 min lunch stop gets you back to 90 miles and an hour prob puts you just over 100 (depending when the fast charge cut off is). It's not for everyone yet but it gets the ball rolling in that field. If they can get it to 200 miles at a $5,000 price jump in 2-4 years they can open up to a lot more markets, not to mention the growth in charging stations in that time period around the country.

charging-time.jpg

Fast charging or not, a battery will pull less and less current as time goes by.

charging-time.jpg

Fast charging or not, a battery will pull less and less current as time goes by.
Seems like max charge speed constantly would make the battery very week after only a few years. Maybe that's why.

Back