Free-to-play Need for Speed MMO hits open beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After 14 installments over the last 15 years, the most ambitious and innovative version of Need for Speed is on the horizon. EA is working on a free-to-play massively multiplayer online racer, exclusive to the PC. Joystiq notes that an MMO version of the game could be the last Need for Speed title EA will have to make, offering a potential platform for "limitless updates."

Called Need for Speed World, the title has only just reached beta but already boasts over 150 miles of open road. Joystiq says the game follows the arcade-inspired mechanics of previous NFS entries, and should be widely accessible with hardware requirements including a 2.0GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB graphics card.

While Need for Speed World is free to play, dedicated racers can use real money to buy in-game goods, such as improved vehicles and skills. This is only speculation based on Joystiq's article, but it sounds like much of that content is open to anyone willing to grind for it. Regardless, you can't go wrong with a free game, even if you don't spend 30 hours a week playing.

EA will supposedly introduce new areas, driving abilities and more to the game every few months, but it sounds like there's already plenty to see. The game will debut this summer but it's officially in open beta, and you can take it for a spin by applying here. Watch a gameplay video after the break.

Permalink to story.

Wow I didn't know about such an ambitious work from EA. So far the game looks good and the whole MMO experience seems like it'll be a big part of it's looking tempting.

"Joystiq notes that an MMO version of the game could be the last Need for Speed title EA will have to make, offering a potential platform for "limitless updates."

Does this suggest that NFS World would be the last in the series?
well if it is,then please don't do this! i love NFS!

now a days online gaming is every where .....and i am so happy to know that my favourite NFS is also going to be online...... , I'll be signing up!

Wow...
This is now expected, what an odd place to take the NFS franchise which, of late, has been just used as a cash cow by releasing increasingly terrible iterations.
Interesting development but i'm not sure that I trust EA to make a good MMO.

Great! Signed up immediatly. Love NFS (not such a big fan of the "closed racing" versions though. Beeing chased by cops on open streets is much more fun :) )

Huh...this is pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'm kinda scratching my head how a racing game could be wrapped up into an MMO. But what the heck, free is free! :)

I wonder if you can purchase horse armor in the game too. I hate micro transactions. Shoot, I hate paying real money to put new parts on my real car. I WILL NOT do that for a video game car, that's for sure.

I always like NFS title's as long as it was open world. Their attempt at making the closed circuit games failed pretty bad in my opinion.

I watched the beta video for NFS World and it looks like it takes place in the Most Wanted game. Maybe EA will be combining all of the open world versions (Underground/Underground 2, Carbon, Most Wanted, Undercover, etc etc) into one.

The fact that it is free seems strange to me though. Why would they strive to continue to update the game if they make no profit.

It also says that it will be that last NFS installment. I don't think I would be upset about it, but I have to say I will miss the arcade street racing fun that NFS always had down better than any other game.

Hmmm.... somehow I feel like this might become another failed MMO experiment. Sounds interesting though and if it's rewarding enough then I'll definitely give it a go.

Sweet! I was never a fan of NFS games. But this seems really cool. I love driving games but more so the ones that let you drive freely... Think i'll check this out.

You know the one thing that worries me is the controls. I hope I will not have to buy a steering wheel.

hello ...
if i had the PC & also met all requirements would have certainly sign to the beta & even pre-order (LOL, a free game, ha!) ...

i will love to go for it when will be available to the public...

been a while since i watched a video about this on GT.

cheers!

Being EA, I would expect that all the good items/upgrades would only be available to paying users. Would be very interesting to see how a racing game would work in an MMO environment though.

P.S. I still think NFS Underground 2 was the best game in the series.

LMAO mmo copycats - "world"

COD MMO
GUITAR HERO MMO

what's next? Zelda: Twinkle world mmo ?

Actually a very good idea from EA... Hook a crowd, and keep them interested with additions along the way. I know that continually rehashing and getting sales for racing game after racing game becomes a burden - not enough changes to make it a "must have" in most cases. Using this online model, they only have to advertise one platform, and can change it up enough to keep people coming back... Plus, they eliminate the piracy issues.

Good to see someone at EA is thinking outside the box a bit.

What a killer app. They will make a load of money on this, and well deserved. This is just a killer idea, I hope it's a big success, and a model for more to follow.

Pretty much makes DRM obsolete, no? :p

I'll certainly play it if it's free. I imagine there's tons of money to be made with micro transactions and it's certainly been very profitable for some companies who have switched to a F2P model with micro-transactions. DDO said their revenue was up 500% after going free to play.

I love most of NFS

im singnin up as soon as i get home since they need a hardware scan

Free is my favorite price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back