Freezing on login... Can anyone help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For quite a while my computer has been making really loud whirring noises from the (I'm assuming) processor/fan, even when idle or doing simple things like using Firefox...

And as of this weekend it keeps freezing on the XP login screen, so I can't select any of the accounts, or on the "windows is starting" screen. The orange light on my computer that flickers when its working doesnt flash at all, yet if I leave it for a while in the hopes it will un-freeze it starts to whirr again.

I'm currently on safe mode, it doesn't seem to have any problem loading into this mode, however it has just whirred for a couple of minutes.

If anyone can offer any help I would appreciate it greatly.

onlydan said:
If anyone can offer any help I would appreciate it greatly.

Hi,
Take the side of the case off and put your ear in the case, mind any fans that might hurt, and find where the sound is coming from.

If its the Hard drive, back up what you can and get rid of it and buy a new one,

If its a fan clean out any dust or debris and check it spins smoothly if not get rid and buy new, especially if its the CPU or Video Card fan.

Regards

You need to get in there, find out what fan is making the noise, and replace it.
Also get rid of all dust while you are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back