Galaxy's new GeForce GTX 780 Ti Hall of Fame graphics card is a thing of beauty

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest graphics card from manufacturer Galaxy is certainly a looker. Known as the GeForce GTX 780 Ti Hall of Fame Edition, the card features a unique white PCB that immediately brings back memories of the white motherboards that Soyo put out more than a decade ago.

The card recently set a new world record in 3DMark Fire Strike and Fire Strike Eagle (with the help of liquid nitrogen) that was no doubt possible in part due to the impressive power setup. The card features 16 phases for the core, two for the memory and three for the PLL. Elsewhere, the HOF edition uses high-end Panasonic tantalum capacitors, KEMET tantalum capacitors with a capacity of 330uF and MDU3606 MOSFETs from Magnachip.

Aside from this, we don’t know too much else about the card at this hour. It will be overclocked but by how much remains unknown. Just for reference, the card that broke the world record was pushed to 1866MHz on the core and 2000MHz on the memory – or in other words, pretty darn fast.

What’s more, we have no idea what the heatsink / cooler will look like. Odds are, much of that pretty PCB will be covered up by a giant cooler to keep temps under control. We do know that the memory will feature its own heatspreaders, however.

No word just yet on when the card will be available for purchase or how much you can expect to shell out for the opportunity.

Permalink to story.

I like the white PCB.

and LOL at the amount of power connectors-maybe thats normal for highest end cards, idk.

The cooler will most probably look similar to or exactly like the GTX 780 HOF but no matter what it looks like it'll be too stupidly priced for any sane person to consider and mainly limited to the UK. Anybody who's willing to spend 500+ knicker on GFX card just to play games needs their head read as far as I'm concerned.

Kinda cool I guess... but the point of the article is showing off how it looks, but this isn't how it will look when it's sold. The cooler is missing, as noted, but what's with the back plate not going all the way across?

Im sure this is going to be expensive but this is more than just a graphics card, its a work of Art.

I would love one of these bad boys, but my guess is its going to be around the price (Or Pricier) than the Kingpin EVGA 780ti. I want to see what cooler they put on this beast, but of course im sure liquid blocks or LN2 cooling will be the only way to truly appreciate a card like this.

Looks pretty neat! I can't even remember what my GTX 670 looks like, but I guess if you're into making pretty gaming machines for others to see...

On another note, it's pretty incredible how powerful graphics cards are getting, yet games pretty much look the same for the last 5 years.

Kinda cool I guess... but the point of the article is showing off how it looks, but this isn't how it will look when it's sold. The cooler is missing, as noted, but what's with the back plate not going all the way across?
Clear or frosted backplate/shroud gogogogo

I will say though, compared to all the black and blue, this white PCB is striking to look at (in a good way to me).

This is cool, I have a question that never got answered.
Do companies like Galaxy, Asus get to change the components on the gfx card and increase/decrease them? as I always thought they just added custom coolers onto the GFX cards not change components etc.?

Do companies like Galaxy, Asus get to change the components on the gfx card and increase/decrease them? as I always thought they just added custom coolers onto the GFX cards not change components etc.?
Short answer is yes, companies are able to make custom PCB/Component versions of the Graphics cards at their own discretion to an extent. Thats why you get cards like the MSI lightning, Asus Ares/Mars/, GTX 780ti HoF, EVGA Classified/Kingpin, or Powercolor Devil 13 Edition cards.

They are merely taking the chip and adding their own custom PCB and adding their own power phase/VRM designs with the intention of making better overclocking or just in general better than reference video cards beyond that of just better coolers. Not all companies do it of course but many do make their own cards with better components to get the chip pushed to its limits.

Thats one of the reasons watercooling enthusiasts have to look up the cards they are buying to see if they are custom PCB (Well most already know if they are) to make sure to get a block that fits that card.

Short answer is yes, companies are able to make custom PCB/Component versions of the Graphics cards at their own discretion to an extent. Thats why you get cards like the MSI lightning, Asus Ares/Mars/, GTX 780ti HoF, EVGA Classified/Kingpin, or Powercolor Devil 13 Edition cards.

They are merely taking the chip and adding their own custom PCB and adding their own power phase/VRM designs with the intention of making better overclocking or just in general better than reference video cards beyond that of just better coolers. Not all companies do it of course but many do make their own cards with better components to get the chip pushed to its limits.

Thats one of the reasons watercooling enthusiasts have to look up the cards they are buying to see if they are custom PCB (Well most already know if they are) to make sure to get a block that fits that card.
It is also the reason some cards cost more. I will only buy equipment from a manufacturer with a good reputation and with decent quality components. It may cost more initially but you save in the long term.

Yes, AIB's have a certain amount of discretion on both increasing and decreasing from the reference design. How much depends upon how favoured their relationship is with the hardware vendor, and what kind of R&D budget the AIB can expend
Increasing usually comes via higher BIOS voltage limits, stronger/cleaner voltage regulation, and higher board input power to handle the first two.
Decreasing is less evident. Cheaper voltage regulation and reduced cost components. limited/no voltage increased via locked down BIOS. Sapphire, XFX, and Gigabyte have an unwanted record of slipping reduced BoM (bill of materials) models into the lineup that are - at first glance, nearly indistinguishable from the better appointed models in their product line.

You know, I keep looking at this card and ideas just keep flashing into my head to build a machine with a white theme. I would really love to build a machine in a white NZXT Phantom case and some white waterblocks and build an entire machine thats completely white with an offset of clear tubing and put some black coolant flowing through the machine as a cool contrast to the entire white machine.

I don't know why, but I really like looking at this video card the white is just so nice a color for a card that I feel like getting some.

You know, I keep looking at this card and ideas just keep flashing into my head to build a machine with a white theme. I would really love to build a machine in a white NZXT Phantom case and some white waterblocks and build an entire machine thats completely white with an offset of clear tubing and put some black coolant flowing through the machine as a cool contrast to the entire white machine.

I don't know why, but I really like looking at this video card the white is just so nice a color for a card that I feel like getting some.
I was initially going to do that with my build until I realized due to prices I had a gray graphics card, and also my unreplaced motherboard is yellow. xD

I was initially going to do that with my build until I realized due to prices I had a gray graphics card, and also my unreplaced motherboard is yellow. xD
Yea, plus there really is no such thing as a white motherboard (At least as of recent tech, there was a white ATI I recall but thats all I remember) that isnt custom painted. The closest thing I found which was an amazing idea and has sparked my interest was to buy one of the Asus Z87 Sabertooth Boards/Asus Z87 Maximus VI that have those motherboard covers that cover up most of the capacitors and circuits and paint it white. which will make everything but the few exposed heatsinks white. Next I would probably grab some of those Clear Waterblocks made by EK (Well in this case since its a custom card I would have to wait for blocks that fit it). That would be about the closest possible at this point without doing some extreme custom painting on everything.

Last edited:
That looks really nice. I'd buy it, but I'm holding on to my cash for a DirectX 12 card. Unless Nividia can show backwards compatibility.

Back