Game of Thrones is being pirated more than ever before

Scorpus

Staff member

Despite Game of Thrones being more accessible than ever before thanks to the launch of HBO Now, the extremely popular fantasy TV show is also being pirated more than ever before, according to media intelligence company Tru Optik, who provided data to TorrentFreak.

Due to four episodes leaking online well before their air date, Game of Thrones was reportedly downloaded more than 32 million times from 18 million IP addresses during the first week of its airing. 13 million of these downloads were for the first episode, which is a significant increase on the amount of downloads for the first episode of the previous season during a similar timeframe.

While the leaked Game of Thrones episodes were only released in standard definition, after the first episode officially aired, the majority of downloads (43.5 percent) were of 720p copies. 480p made up 35.1 percent of downloads, while the highest-quality 1080p copies took up the remaining 31.4 percent.

As usual, Australia topped the charts for the most downloads per capita, with the country also recording a relatively high ratio of pirates to legal viewers. But the United States lays claim to the highest number of illegal Game of Thrones downloads overall, followed by France and Brazil.

TorrentFreak expects that Game of Thrones will once again be the most pirated TV show of the year, following on from its 'victories' in the past three years. If the piracy rate from just the first week continues, it could win in a landslide.

Permalink to story.

And this is why you focus your income from merchandising
flamethrower.jpg

I have never watched this show and I will never have that desire..

I watched the 1st episode a few weeks back to see what all the fuss was about and all I can say is I don't have the desire to watch any more.

I watched the 1st episode a few weeks back to see what all the fuss was about and all I can say is I don't have the desire to watch any more.
Simple, short-sighted minds want their candy first, meal second; stick to your 90 minute movies.
You and people like you miss out on the greatest of cinema, character building and story telling.

I was never into shows until I watched (well, my GF got me into it) Spartacus (S1&2), Lost, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, DS9, The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Game Of Thrones, etc etc.
I realized how stupid I was for not being a little more patient and those who dismiss a show without really giving it a chance are only spoiling their own dinner.

Why do Game of Thrones stories bring out the people who don't watch the show, yet make a point of saying they don't the show. Just a good opportunity to let everyone know you're too cool to think something is good that everyone else thinks is good?

However, there is one type of GoT comment missing thus far... and that's the 'Yeah, but I wouldn't pirate it if it was available legally.' (Since apparently it was HBO's fault you were stealing.) But now that GoT is available legally even more people are stealing it.

The good news for HBO though is that there are probably more people paying for it as well.

Simple, short-sighted minds want their candy first, meal second; stick to your 90 minute movies.
You and people like you miss out on the greatest of cinema, character building and story telling.

I was never into shows until I watched (well, my GF got me into it) Spartacus (S1&2), Lost, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, DS9, The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Game Of Thrones, etc etc.
I realized how stupid I was for not being a little more patient and those who dismiss a show without really giving it a chance are only spoiling their own dinner.

How can you miss something that you never have watched or tried?

Seems like every popular thing brings out the "I don't do this" people lol

Would be nice if people valued education with the vigor they do for Game of Thrones

What?! I thought all thieves...oh sorry "pirates"... steal digital entertainment because the legal "barriers" prevent them from otherwise paying for the media. This story simply makes me think all these "pirates" are nothing more then scum bags who steal property because they can get away with it regardless of any BS excuse they make for why they "morally" do it.

People just like to use that excuse. Why else would people feel the need to pirate things they don't even need

I am watching this show and It's good and all but overrated. I feel like it got so much recognition because a lot of "main" characters got killed and people aren't used to not seeing happy endings. It is pure bandwagoning. Same goes for bacon.

I was like you, it took me months to finally sit down and watch it. The first three episodes were horrible, imo. I don't think so now, but as a newcomer it's just really bad. Just naming names and naming places and talking about nonsense. I shelved it and finally gave in to peer pressure in season 2. This show is amazing man, and it picks up very fast after it's slow start.

Knowing what I know now, I'd be missing out had I went with my gut instinct.

"However, there is one type of GoT comment missing thus far... and that's the 'Yeah, but I wouldn't pirate it if it was available legally.' (Since apparently it was HBO's fault you were stealing.) But now that GoT is available legally even more people are stealing it."

Just to note though but HBO has been sending letters and terminating paying subscribed member from other countries that are viewing HBO shows using VPN. Basically even if you are willing to pay but you are in a different country that is not supported by HBO, you're out of luck.

If you liked DS9, definitely watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's recently been remastered to 1080p, and in my opinion, it's by far the best Star Trek series ever. DS9 really redeemed itself with the Dominion, but TNG was amazing overall.

Would have gladly paid for HBO now but it wasn't made available in Canada.

Yes it is... I live in Toronto and actually pay for HBO... I DID "pirate" the first 4 episodes of GoT - only because I LOVE the show and wanted to watch them immediately!! --> Now I have to wait a few weeks for episode 5 :(

Shows like GoT I feel are better when watched all in a row - I forget too much of what happens when watching weekly...

I got into it a season late, I tried to watch the 1st episode 2 different times on the 3rd time I was hooked (separated by a large time frame). If you are content with not watching it that is fine, I'm just saying its possible to not really see what all the fuss is about, and then all the sudden have it click.

Let's hope that sales show just as much fervor as pirating has shown.
I'm on the HBO Now thing, its working pretty good so I'll probably not end it at the end of the free month. If I keep it after GoT is over is yet to be seen....

Back