Game runs too fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Gallop

I dug out an old favorite PC game of mine called 'Outlaws" and thought I would try to play it again. Have not played it in years, when I was still running Windows '98.
But now that I have Windows XP I notice that the same game runs too fast.
Can someone explain why that is?
I installed the game the same as I use to. Can it be ajusted?

Thank you.

Dennis

Hmmmm, cant help ya soz, but the same thing is happening to me, but with newer games, Flatout and painkiller (ok not that new)

thinking its got something to do with duel core cpus for some reason.....

anyone?

Yeah, but not this fast!!!

its i super kind of fast, like all the movies and that before the game starts are like sped RIGHT UP, everything is fast, and it usually causes the game to crash after a while

it is fun tho, running around on painkiller REALLY fast, as it is a fairly fast game any way

You could try using CPUKiller to slow your computer down when playing old games that run too fast.

There is also a programme called Mo`Slo that`s supposed to be very good. However, it`s only a trial programme and has to be purchased once the trial has ended.

Regards Howard :)

Are you using an AMD CPU? If so, are you using Cool & Quiet technology? Or an Intel CPU with a similar power saving technology?

I normally have it enabled, but if I start a game, it will run too fast. Then I disable it, and it runs normal.

Regards :wave:

It is either a CPU-clock throttling feature giving that problem or maybe the fact that you have a dual-core or HyperThreading enabled CPU. If the latter is the case, when you launch the game, ALT-TAB back to the dekstop, launch the task manager, right click on the game's process & set CPU affinity to one CPU.

Descent - too fast

I know this question is redundant, but I just downloaded Descent (3D space shooting game), and it runs, again, too fast. Does anybody know of a solution for it? Is there even hope?

Thanx...

Have you tried alt-tabbing out of the game & setting the affinity to only one CPU core ? That's if you're running a dual core system at least.

Well in certain cases there are no real solutions. Games that are too old & that will not be updated will always have that problems. If he still wants to play the game, that's how he should do it (if it is indeed the problem that he's having now).

I know that AMD have released a dual-core optimizer but I'm not sure if it stops the problem of games running too fast on systems with multiple cores/CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back