Gameplay clips for all three Grand Theft Auto remasters just leaked

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Editor's take: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy—The Definitive Edition launches tomorrow. I find it sad that Rockstar has failed to deliver any trailers showing its reported gameplay improvements. It makes me suspicious that the studio might not feel it looks spectacular enough to warrant a $60 purchase price. You be the judge.

Although rumors of a trilogy of GTA remakes sprung up over the summer, Rockstar did not confirm it was working on Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy until last month. Even still, other than a trailer featuring cinematic clips from GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas, which look great, Rockstar has been stingy with the gameplay footage.

It's unfortunate because cutscenes do not convey a fair image to the consumer, especially where remasters are concerned. How many games with great cinematics have ended up being garbage? It would be hard to ruin these three classics, but it's hard to justify a day-one purchase without seeing the finished product.

Fortunately, a YouTuber managed to leak three videos featuring gameplay footage from GTA III and Vice City. Another player posted some lower-quality video (recorded from a TV) from GTA: San Andreas on Reddit. So if you were thinking about buying the trilogy, check out the gameplay to be sure it meets your expectations before tossing Rockstar $60 for the nearly 20-year-old games.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy—The Definitive Edition launches tomorrow, November 11, on almost every platform you can think of, including current and last-gen consoles, PC, and Nintendo Switch. Disc versions are on the slate for December 7, and mobile ports for both iOS and Android should land in the first half of 2022.

Permalink to story.

Rockstar changed it from being '2000s era graphically limited' to "2020s mocking caricature'.
All in the name of money.
At this point I'm not even waiting for GTA 6 anymore. It's gonna be shameless moneygrab.

There is no reason to "remaster" these old games.

Everything about those games was based on their respective console, the console hardware and the limitations of the time.

Better to focus on "new content" and give us newer, better games.

Remasters are lazy.
No not really, some yes I agree with you on, but there are some remasters that are needed because on PC side OS, API, and Hardware can lead to games not being playable or not being properly displayed on modern monitor aspect ratios and having cutscenes crash due to incompatible formats.....
So not really, also there are remasters like Skyrim Special Edition where engine tweaks leads to better compatibility and performance upgrades. Some are needed if not more welcomed, while others are trash, Mass Effect was a waste of space that only served for SJWs to cut out a female butt for some reason. Still cannot figure that one out or why they felt it was needed to be done, neither way no one asked for it.

I'm sorry but these are not what I expected. I expected much higher polygon count, improved sound effect and less of those jagged movement. you can get better far superior mods installed on the original game than this madness.

Rockstar should've learn how to remaster from Activision. those guys did an outstanding job of remastering the good old Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

hopefully the GTA SA version is less atrocious.

I look forward to these, especially San Andreas. One of the best in the series IMO.

I hope they go back to ONE CHARACTER in GTA6... I did not like GTA5 because of 3 different ones.

I look forward to these, especially San Andreas. One of the best in the series IMO.

I hope they go back to ONE CHARACTER in GTA6... I did not like GTA5 because of 3 different ones.

Yeah, the jumping around spoiled the story for me.

Yeah, the jumping around spoiled the story for me.
Yeah, it was polished tho but I like to focus on one character not 3 and jump around between them.

They should have made character select in the beginning. So you could pick and choose yourself.

There is no reason to "remaster" these old games.

Everything about those games was based on their respective console, the console hardware and the limitations of the time.

Better to focus on "new content" and give us newer, better games.

Remasters are lazy.
I like them, and I'd prefer you not deciding for me, thanks.

It boggles my mind that GTA III is almost 20 years old. Then again, I feel that way about everything these days. I don't think its just nostalgia for the prime of my life, either..the games just seemed more compelling then.
Games back then couldnt be patched, so they had to be made right, the first time.

They also couldnt be monetized after a purchase, no DLC, microtransactions, always online DRM, season passes, or content updates, so they had to be feature rich and said features were coded based on providing a fun experience rather then making money.

High speed internet connections really have ruined gaming.
Oh boy, PLEASE just don't mess with the soundtracks. Leave them as they were.
I've got bad news for you, the old games already had their soundtracks retroactively removed when they were on steam due to license expirations. I doubt they'll include said tracks in the remaster.
I like them, and I'd prefer you not deciding for me, thanks.
I dont like them, and I'd prefer you not deciding for me, thanks.

Trevor was the only reason to play it. I wouldn't mind 3 characters if they suited the story and irlt didn't suck. But it did suck n Michael and I wanna say Clifton were unforgettable. What was his name

Back