Games freeze after 2 mins, just formatted no problems prior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I just formatted my HD, which is set up for a 30 gig OS partition and 120 gig file partition. I was running XP SP2 Pro prior 'n' now, i just updated the graphics drivers and the motherboard drivers. I am playing Pro Evolution Soccer 6, a game that i used to play all the time before I formatted. I also tried this on C&C3: Tiberium Wars,

I have made a bit of progress, i used to get a checkerboardscreen then crash, now it just crashes, i did this by turning off the ATI Catalyst AI. I'm defragging as I type this, and i've run adaware/spybot/antivirus programs. I haven't changed any hardware, the specs on my computer are as follows:
2x160gig western digital HD,
radion X800 graphics card
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D NF4 blah blah blah motherboard,
2x512mb Mushkin ram,

like i said, nothing's changed, i just updated the drivers and formatted my harddrive. Now the games aren't working..
All applications work fine, watching movies works fine as well, just playing games is what freezes...
It runs fine for a few minutes, then there sems to be, for a frame, a line or a small chunk missing from the screen, kind of like a not-fuzzy version of the connection failing. It's hard to describe, it reminds me of a TV that has the lines going through it horizontally, but they only last for a frame, and repeat every few frames. Then the game just freezes, audio continues for a few seconds, then that freezes too. Even if the game is windowed, i can't Ctl+alt+del, Alt+f4, esc, nothing.

Any tips?

Did you re-install the OS totally. When you format a drive everything that was on it is gone and must be re-installed. Device drivers, programs, etc.

Yeah, i've done it multiple times before, this is just the first time that this problem with the graphics has occured...
First i formatted the entire HD, then set up the partitions, then installed XP on the first partition which is 30 gigs... after i installed it, i installed all the drivers, DX9, everything like i normally would.

everything else is running very nicely, just i can't play games cuz they crash.

Well, like always, just trying to help.

Is that AGP or PCIE or is that too much to ask?

:)

the graphics card? i'm guessing its AGP...
idk, i'm not 100% computer saavy, esp w/ hardware.
all the requirements for the games have been met, i have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+

I think I'm just going to format my HD again, it had to be an improper install becuase before i formatted it all worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back