Gaming frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelrain

Hello folks! I am new to this site, showing up due to insanity reasons :D. I am having all sorts of trouble running F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 2, etc. After about 10-15 mins of play, my computer suddenly shuts down and I have to restart it. I know it is not the mobo because it is doing this with several motherboards. I have an athlon 64 3500 with a Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 cooling fan, have thermal pasted the CPU and have two other fans in the case as well. My PSU is a 430 w Antec. Video Card is Ge Force 6800 OC. I have recently blown an ASUS A8V Mobo and am now using ABIT AV8 - socket 939. I am running AGP still at this point, not PCI express. I have 4 sticks of 512 MB PC3200 Ram on the board. Tried all kinds of drives for the Vid card, same result. Any suggestions why the computer is suddenly shutting down in middle of games?. Idle temps for my CPU are in the 31 degree celsius range while appears loaded is around 55. I am starting to believe it is my PSU at this point as the vid card has never given me trouble. HELP!! Oh PS - I have reformatted several times and this has also happened with different hard drives. Must be Vid Card or PSU

Steelrain

Have you recently updated your bios? It sounds like a typical overheating problem and perhaps your bios is giving you false temp readings.

Regards,

Korrupt

Bios

Hmm, I havent recently updated BIOS. I just installed a new MOBO yesterday and am a little unfamliar with BIOS etc. I am using the 5.09 VIA chipset drivers so those are to date. Where do you update BIOS?

Steelrain:knock:

I have Abit AV8 too, and I got a lot of crashes and usually operating systems didn't even boot if I had memory speeds set what the modules said they could handle.

The AV8 sets memory speed to DDR333 when using four sticks. I also set the other memory settings manually to about the slowest option there was available.

I'd rather use "slow" memory settings that are stable than "fast" that are unstable; especially as the speed difference between CAS2 and CAS3 is barely noticeable whereas cost difference can be huge.

Memory

Thanks Mic!

I will check my BIOS to see what is going on with that. I think it is running at 333 too. I did a speedfan check and it is showing my remote temperature as 53 celsius and HOT. What is Remote temperature?? LOL! I am such a noob!

Steelrain

Just in!

I was just playing FEAR and my CPU temps were only about 50 C which seems fine. My " remote" and " local" temps were 75 c and 65 c respectively. What exactly does that mean? Video crashed again about 15 minutes into the game..........HELP!!!

Steelrain

Mic,

Thanks! I figured it might be that. Not sure why the GPU is heating up so much, never had a problem with it before. Any possibility this could be a power supply issue? Drivers for the Vid card? Ge Force 6800 OC.

Steelrain

Yes, it could be the power supply. Even though Antec is a good brand, yours could be having a problem. Do you have another good psu to swap and see if it helps?

Well it sounds like you're over loading your power supply, like others have said you should try bigger PSU. Also make sure that you don’t smell any smoke because if your power supply is over loading you could burn it up! :dead:

(That’s what happened to me LOL!):hotouch:

Vid card

Axx,

I bought another vid card and it works great. It was my video card all along. I had a BFG 6800 GT OC. Great card but simply melted down. I hope I can call them as there is a lifetime warranty. I have a 7800 GS OC now and it works fine...........it was the card all along.......still using 430 W PSU

Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back