Garry's Mod developer exposes pirates with fake error

Matthew

If you're among the many Garry's Mod users experiencing the startup error "Unable to shade polygon normals," you should probably keep that information to yourself. According to GMod creator Garry Newman, he introduced the error this week and it's designed to only appear on illegal copies of the game as a means of flushing out pirates.

Read the whole story

Cota

Epicness, now can you make something to lower PC games prices? im getting sick of eating cups of noodles :)

Cueto_99

Awesome... Did you saw that Ubisoft... That's how you treat with pirates... Not with a prohibited and SecuRom... Watch & Learn...

Nima304

Whoever thought of this is a ****ing genius. I agree with Cueto, SecuRom is a terrible way of dealing with piracy.

gwailo247

Wow, so many angry people on his Twitter feed, LOL.

How can you call a guy a **** for catching you pirating his game?

Wendig0

Nice job!

Cota said:
Epicness, now can you make something to lower PC games prices? im getting sick of eating cups of noodles :)
I'm sure there are higher paying jobs out there for you. ;)

Greg S

Wouldn't be surprised if this guy gets a job offer in the near future...

I think that this is a creative way to deal with it, but they really need to come up with a bunch of little tricks like this to get all the pirates. As soon as one is discovered, most of the pirates won't post about the "error". There really needs to be a bunch of things that happen, maybe like defaulting all graphics settings to low and putting the game in 8 bit color?

G

Hahaha, that is awesome. This is how Anti Piracy measures should work, exposing the pirates without hurting the actual paying customers.

Only other similar approach I have seen/read about was Batman Arkham Asylum's "bug", you couldn't glide with a pirated copy so you would fall to your death when you jumped from a high place. Making it impossible to make it to the destination to fulfill the games objective.

Steve

Staff member
This is funny but hasn't this kind of thing been done many times before in the past?

If I recall ages ago if you pirated "Red Alert 2" all your units would blow up within a few minutes or something like that... Still all great ways of tackling piracy as it only annoys the pirates.

HaMsTeYr

Nice hahahaha. A bit cruel, the guys have been blindsided but nice never the less. Oh well. Its not that expensive anyway, just drop like what? 2-3 cans of beer and you're all set lol

Timonius

Nice. Goes to show you that using pirated software could potentially bite back. Who knows what else has been engineered in the code...

Kibaruk

How could they have this pirated on steam? For me its odd... you could have it "pirate" but as "aplication outside steam", thats the whole deal of steam isn't it??

G

For PC games, anti pirate code should be:

if (pirate) {
string shd = detect system hard drive;
format shd;
}

:)