Gears 5 quitters are getting banned for 640 days

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: Multiplayer games, with all the joy they provide by allowing us to play with friends and strangers online, do have their downsides. Quitting, for instance, out of rage or to annoy other people in a session can ruin the experience for everyone. That's why developers have increasingly become conscious of the player communities who carry their game's image and greatly influence its multiplayer life cycle. The Coalition, folks behind Gears 5, have taken rather strict measures towards ensuring a fair environment for their multiplayer community by banning several gamers with nearly two-year bans over frequent quitting.

Leaving a multiplayer game, with or without a reason, is certainly an unpleasant experience for other players in a match. Though acceptable once in a blue moon, players who make it a frequent habit need to be taught a lesson, one which Gears 5 is teaching rather strictly with its 640-day ban penalty.

Gamerevolution reports that the developers of the game confirmed handing out a couple of bans to players who were penalized for frequent quitting. Dana Sissons, the game's director of communications, also tweeted a warning last week. "Gears 5 quit penalties are active. You’ve been warned," he said.

One Gears 5 player who recently received the 640 days ban took to Reddit to share his frustration. Upon further investigation, he was found to have quit 18 out of 21 escalation matches in a single day. A similar instance was reported of another player in a tweet to whom Sisson responded that "he is a chronic quitter – in fact, he quit 18 of 21 matches today alone," adding that "His quitting ruins the game for the other 9 people he was playing with."

The game's heavy ban penalty has received mixed reactions from players. Some are welcoming the measures considering the negative effect of quitters on other players' ranks, for which they have to work extra hard in scoring points in light of an insufficient number of players in rival teams. Others would rather have Gears 5 use an incremental penalty system like CS:GO's to deal with the quitting issue.

The Coalition did throw the suspended players one last lifeline with a tweet that announced the un-suspending of their accounts and that they are one quit away from being penalized again.

Permalink to story.

I have zero problems with this. Just look at the clown who complained about it on Reddit, and then come to find out he'd quit in 18 of 21 matches in a single day.

Online play is a crap shoot at best in dealing with people hiding behind a keyboard and do stupid or annoying things just because their Momma doesn't give them enough attention. Strict playing rules should be the norm to manage those. Regular players won't be impacted at all.

Well then, don't be a douche and leave mid game 18/21 games in a day and you won't have this issue :p

I said I like the ban, just that it seemed harsh.

BTW I think I should be entitled to share my opinion without being called a douche.

I said I like the ban, just that it seemed harsh.

BTW I think I should be entitled to share my opinion without being called a douche.
It sounds like the loooong bans were for the douche's, so I don't see it as harsh.

PS. I was implying that people leaving mid game multiple times a day are douche's, so unless you do that..... lol

Guess I'm famous. heheh.
For the record, I was only playing ranked because TC requires it for the ToD medals if you want to unlock a Lancer GL execution. There's literally no other way to unlock that. This ****s over completionists/collectors of all sorts. Requiring 10 wins in the most boring, ridiculous and longest game type of ranked was a bad move on TC's part.

The game doesn't match based on rank/skill at all. People have reported being silver rank and getting matched against a full 5 stack team of Masters. That's not fair, nor is it fun, but they're supposed to stay and die for 20 minutes or they get banned? **** TC. When people AFK, other people quit, or I had a bad team, I left. People like me don't care about rank. Just completing a medal. There's the problem. It should also be noted that the ban included ALL modes of matchmaking (co-op too).

Yes, I quit 18 of 21 games one morning alone. It was probably something like 60 in the previous days. I don't care. I wish I knew the exact number, but the War Journal in Gears 5 is a joke! Why isn't anyone commenting on the fact that the only way to know that 18 of 21 number was for the developer to look it up!? OR that there was no official announcement that the bans were going live. It only came from the private twitter account of Dana Sissons. Only the announcement unbanning people appeared on the official twitter. How the **** is that professional?

Why not just de-rank quitters to the point of being in a negative bracket so they only match with each other? I believe devs like Rockstar did something similar for cheaters online. It's stupid to ban paying customers, especially when you're trying to sell them more stuff through MTX. Furthermore, this type of penalty would be much better for those who are accidentally screwed by the servers, since people have actually been banned for backing out while searching for a match and other odd things because TC's servers are garbage.

On that note, I think TC is a joke and MS should be ashamed of the Gears 5 release overall. I changed regions for the early unlock, and that was the only time the servers were stable on launch weekend. They had 2 tech tests, but the people who paid for early access still ended up beta testers. As soon as the game unlocked for North America, the servers **** the bed...Microsoft can't release a first party AAA title with working servers this gen, but they expect to release a new Xbox next year? What the ****? I'm still waiting for TC's Octus explain his threat toward those who boosted escape using the despawn glitch, which was only discovered because of their unstable servers in the first place.
I will forever refer to TC as Total****s

I wonder if this effects people that are kicked from the group. One game I played penalized players that are kick in the same fashion as ones that leave.

It sounds like the loooong bans were for the douche's, so I don't see it as harsh.

PS. I was implying that people leaving mid game multiple times a day are douche's, so unless you do that..... lol

I barely play games at all, let alone 21 matches in a day.
Im just a guy who likes to read tech articles in my freetime instead of cruising half nude IG models

I like it, but its far too harsh.

Id be asking for a refund if I was banned more than a month.
Sure refund might be reasonable but if you had a 18 of 21 quit record in a single day then I wouldn't want you in the game anyway as a 640 day ban reflects.

What they should do is come to their house and take away their gaming systems and disconnect their internet.

If you're getting banned for 640 days because you quit 18 times out of 21, then the first ban should come much faster. Give the player 1 hour cooldown if they quit 3 times in 5 games(perhaps accompanied by a suggestion to go outside or drink a cup of tea), THEN start gradually handing out heavier punishments. The player is, after all, a paying customer, so the goal should be to modify their behaviour, not get rid of them.

Bans for leavers are terrible design, and don’t affect the players who are in the game. I see this in way too many games. Games should never hold you hostage playing them. Real life stuff comes up all the time, or maybe you have an internet issue. Very often, good actors will suffer the consequences of these penalties.

Additionally, the ban system doesn’t help players who are in the game. Sure, maybe the guy with 5 quits will hold out for one more, and probably throw the game. More often, players will just quit up Tom he limit anyway, forcing dozens of players to lose rank.

If the goal is to make the gaming experience better for victims of leavers, then the best solution is to disable rank loss if someone leaves your game. Obviously, this can be abused, so it would have to be monitored. Either way, I think it’s the only productive alternative.

Bans for leavers are terrible design, and don’t affect the players who are in the game. I see this in way too many games. Games should never hold you hostage playing them. Real life stuff comes up all the time, or maybe you have an internet issue. Very often, good actors will suffer the consequences of these penalties.

Additionally, the ban system doesn’t help players who are in the game. Sure, maybe the guy with 5 quits will hold out for one more, and probably throw the game. More often, players will just quit up Tom he limit anyway, forcing dozens of players to lose rank.

If the goal is to make the gaming experience better for victims of leavers, then the best solution is to disable rank loss if someone leaves your game. Obviously, this can be abused, so it would have to be monitored. Either way, I think it’s the only productive alternative.

It's a multiplayer game with, as I understand it, fairly short matches. If you're having to quit more than 50% of the games you play because of "real life issues" then maybe you should... not be playing that game right now? It seems pretty impolite to ruin matches for other players because you're busy dealing with something more important. If you're expecting disruptions, maybe spend that time playing something with a single-player mode instead.

Also, disabling rank loss doesn't actually do anything to fix the real issue: Namely, that these people, who are wanting to play the game, don't actually get to play the game as much as they otherwise would.

Back