GeForce GTX 1650 Tested without PCIe Power

Pretty good slot power only performance if that is what you are looking for, and a lot of people are.

I think there is still a significant number of people on the 750Ti, just looking at the Steam hardware survey.

This would be a really good upgrade for them and pop right in there without also buying and changing the power supply. Of course for anyone else you go and buy the RX570.

There isn't a big market for cards without external connectors. Every PC in the last 10 years is gonna have 500W PSU with a 6pin connector. I bought a prebuilt in 2005 and it had a 500W PSU. Your imaginary people with 350W PSUs are not in the market for a GPU, their PC is probably ancient and they wouldn't benefit from it. My friend has a 750 Ti, 500W PSU and he's eyeing RTX2060. If you are in a market for a new GPU you likely already have a 500W PSU and should buy RX570 cause it's...wait for it... FASTER and CHEAPER and depending on where you are you can get 2 AAA games probably worth 120$. Contrary to what some people say, your electrical bill won't jump twofold.

Last edited:
There isn't a big market for cards without external connectors. Every PC in the last 10 years is gonna have 500W PSU with a 6pin connector. I bought a prebuild in 2005 and it had a 500W PSU. Your imaginary people with 350W PSUs are not in the market for a GPU, their PC is probably ancient and they wouldn't benefit from it. My friend has a 750 Ti, 500W PSU and he's eyeing RTX2060. If you are in a market for a new GPU you likely already have a 500W PSU and should buy RX570 cause it's...wait for it... FASTER and CHEAPER and depending on where you are you can get 2 AAA games probably worth 120$. Contrary to what some people say, your electrical bill won't jump twofold.

Most of the people with a 250-350W PSU in their system aren't just using a prebuilt OEM system, they're using a prebuilt OEM office system, like Dell's Optiplex series (I.e. their 3060 Tower & SFF models both use a 260W PSU). Definitely not a gaming PC system (or at least not a primary system), but yeah, if you wanted some beefier graphics than the Intel integrated, you're limited to a GTX 750TI, maybe one of the non-PCIe 1050s, or now this 1650, unless you also replace the PSU.

And you're right, there's no way your electric bill is going to double just by getting a larger PSU/heftier GPU. Not unless the only electricity-using device in your house/apartment is your PC...which means no microwave, no TV, no oven, no washer/dryer, no lightbulbs, etc. And while the actual cost for power is going to depend on where're your at & how much you're charged per kWh, I think you'd have to get something like the RTX 2080/2080TI (or a Titan card) before the extra cost per year even approaches the purchase price of a brand-new AAA game title.

I still think this is aimed at casual folks with a prebuilt OEM system at home (thing Packard Bell) who have gotten into Fortnite mobile and wanna play it for real. Like a not insignificant market, and one largely untapped.

I still think this is aimed at casual folks with a prebuilt OEM system at home (thing Packard Bell) who have gotten into Fortnite mobile and wanna play it for real. Like a not insignificant market, and one largely untapped.

Those kind of people don't know how to work on PCs. And honestly if you are only going to 1650 levels and have to learn about PCs to install one, most people are just going to buy a PS4 pro of Xbox One X if they don't have one already.

Pretty good slot power only performance if that is what you are looking for, and a lot of people are.

I think there is still a significant number of people on the 750Ti, just looking at the Steam hardware survey.

This would be a really good upgrade for them and pop right in there without also buying and changing the power supply. Of course for anyone else you go and buy the RX570.
Sadly most of those are a SFF PC so this card will not fit ! If this card was less than $120 and had the low profile option then it would be a winner but as is not so much !

They failed to test the "Base" clocks on the card. Makes me wonder if they were so desperate to give it a good showing vs AMD that they bent the moral compass to Nvidia as much as possible.

How about the plain out of the box stock numbers? Most people buying these cards are not going to bother to overclock them.

There isn't a big market for cards without external connectors. Every PC in the last 10 years is gonna have 500W PSU with a 6pin connector. I bought a prebuild in 2005 and it had a 500W PSU. Your imaginary people with 350W PSUs are not in the market for a GPU, their PC is probably ancient and they wouldn't benefit from it. My friend has a 750 Ti, 500W PSU and he's eyeing RTX2060. If you are in a market for a new GPU you likely already have a 500W PSU and should buy RX570 cause it's...wait for it... FASTER and CHEAPER and depending on where you are you can get 2 AAA games probably worth 120$. Contrary to what some people say, your electrical bill won't jump twofold.

Yeah so that is completely untrue. For lots of us turning old Dell and HP systems into cheap fun gaming systems, dealing with 300-400W PSUs is every day. Take a look at Steam Survey and....Oh. My. Gosh. 1050Ti is the second most popular GPU. #3? The 1050 non-Ti. Oh and both are INCREASING share. If you take the 1050 and 1050Ti they far exceed every GPU 1070Ti and higher COMBINED. Every RTX is a rounding error on 1050 family market share. Oh and the 570? Its behind the GTX 1030. And dont get me wrong, Im one of those 570 gamers but Im also two of the 1050Ti gamers. I bought the 1050Ti for one because of power and the other because of noise. I can see myself replacing both with the 1650 at some point because my reason for needing a 75w GPU will not have changed.

Right tool for the right job.

Yeah so that is completely untrue. For lots of us turning old Dell and HP systems into cheap fun gaming systems, dealing with 300-400W PSUs is every day. Take a look at Steam Survey and....Oh. My. Gosh. 1050Ti is the second most popular GPU. #3? The 1050 non-Ti. Oh and both are INCREASING share. If you take the 1050 and 1050Ti they far exceed every GPU 1070Ti and higher COMBINED. Every RTX is a rounding error on 1050 family market share. Oh and the 570? Its behind the GTX 1030. And dont get me wrong, Im one of those 570 gamers but Im also two of the 1050Ti gamers. I bought the 1050Ti for one because of power and the other because of noise. I can see myself replacing both with the 1650 at some point because my reason for needing a 75w GPU will not have changed.

Right tool for the right job.
You see, I have that 1050 Ti that is so popular, that doesn't mean I have a 300W PSU, I have a 500W one and so do majority of people there. I bought 1050 Ti instead of RX570 because at the time it was cheaper.

As I already said people with 300W PSUs are usually not looking to upgrade since their system is likely old and would not benefit from a brand new GPU due to bottleneck. This card was meant to compete with RX570 but it turned out to be crap, you think Nvidia withheld drivers for this card for no reason? Only if they drop the price this can easly become a good card.

Is there a low-profile version of the 570? No? Will there ever be one? No?

Then I will not be purchasing one.

I'm not interested in running the very latest AAA shooters at 4K resolution with all graphics options maxed out. I am, however, interested in getting the most out of my ever-growing crop of SFF machines. AMD just isn't bothering to compete in this area; but I fully expect a 1650 LP card to show up sooner or later.

I've owned the same house for 20 years now. It's only in the past 12-18 months that I've tended to leave my PC on 24/7 instead of shutting it down when not using it (& it has a 850W PSU installed)...& the effect on my electric bill has been negligible. In contrast, the rising cost per kWh charged by the utility company has been almost 100% responsible for the greater cost I pay per month for electricity.

If there's a single appliance that has a significant effect on my electricity usage, it's the central air conditioning unit. We keep it fairly high (70 Farenheit in the summer), & generally see our bill double during July & August (& maybe be 25-50% higher in May & September). So yeah, the claims that a PC will double your electric bill, especially when there are other appliances in the house...unless someone's running a crypto-mining rig or 4, in which case they probably saved themselves some money on their winter heating bills already.

I still think the GTX 1650 should be available for about $120. Maybe if we give it some time on market.
Sheesh, graphics cards are a long term investment. Pony up for the GTX 1660. The 1650 should be a mobile only card as a decent upgrade option from Intel's garbage iGPU. $99 card at best.

I enjoyed this, but no power consumption results? I'm sure the difference is negligible, but it would have told a more complete story.

You see, I have that 1050 Ti that is so popular, that doesn't mean I have a 300W PSU, I have a 500W one and so do majority of people there. I bought 1050 Ti instead of RX570 because at the time it was cheaper.

As I already said people with 300W PSUs are usually not looking to upgrade since their system is likely old and would not benefit from a brand new GPU due to bottleneck. This card was meant to compete with RX570 but it turned out to be crap, you think Nvidia withheld drivers for this card for no reason? Only if they drop the price this can easly become a good card.
Your assumption simply isnt true...there are TONS of off lease office level PC's that can be had for very little money that lots of people are turning into portable LAN gaming rigs ect....for very little money you can put together a pretty decent little gaming rig by simply adding an SSD some memory and the best low profile GPU you can afford to put in it. LOTS of people are doing this because of the *overall* value factor and portability. I think you *heavily* underestimate the size of that market.

Is there a low-profile version of the 570? No? Will there ever be one? No?

Then I will not be purchasing one.

I'm not interested in running the very latest AAA shooters at 4K resolution with all graphics options maxed out. I am, however, interested in getting the most out of my ever-growing crop of SFF machines. AMD just isn't bothering to compete in this area; but I fully expect a 1650 LP card to show up sooner or later.
Bingo!.....people are picking up these off lease and refurb SFFs so cheap now....it's a no brainer to pop an SSD, 8-16gb of RAM, and throw in a low profile GPU.

Your assumption simply isnt true...there are TONS of off lease office level PC's that can be had for very little money that lots of people are turning into portable LAN gaming rigs ect....for very little money you can put together a pretty decent little gaming rig by simply adding an SSD some memory and the best low profile GPU you can afford to put in it. LOTS of people are doing this because of the *overall* value factor and portability. I think you *heavily* underestimate the size of that market.
I don't think I do.

Back