Getting a new mobo. Confuse about something

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipmike33

Recently my old mobo stopped working (damn static), so i'll be buying another mobo...most likely this one since its cheap (im only going to be using this setup for a couple more weeks, until black friday comes and I buy a E6600 and mobo). My question is, once i install all the peripherals and turn it on, will it ask me to do a clean install of windows? I dont want to mess up my hard drive, I have WAAAY to many things in there that I need.

Unless the mobo you`re getting is exactly the same as the old one, you may have major problems.

Your hard drive will contain all the drivers etc for the old mobo and probably won`t work with the new one.

You`ll probably need to do at least a Windows repair and possibly a complete reformat, in order to get things up and running.

The best advice I can give you, is to put your hard drive in another system as a slave and backup your important data, then put it back in your computer.

Regards Howard :)

I was afraid of that...what if i buy a new hard drive? and use my old one as a slave? would that be fine? So you dont recomend me just installing all the peripherals and turning on the computer? Will that mess up my hard drive? Thanks in advance

filipmike33 said:
I was afraid of that...what if i buy a new hard drive? and use my old one as a slave? would that be fine?

Yes, that would be a very good option.

I don`t think installing everything and trying to boot from your existing hard drive will harm the hard drive. I just don`t think it`ll work.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back