Getting all new System Any Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I have decided to sell my main computer and some other junk I have laying around for a total of $1200 CAN. I have decided to buy the following for my new computer:

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz Dual-Core
ASUS P5N-SLI Motherboard
1GB Corsair Valueselect DDR2-667
Geforce 7900GT
Antec Sonata II case and PSU
160GB WD SATA HDD

The total comes out to $1173.46 CAN with tax. Does anyone have any suggestions before I buy? (could be as much as a month before I buy because I'm still waiting for the buyer (my friend) to get the money)

hi MetalX,

overall.. it looks good to me :)

the only thing I would change is the RAM. corsair is a good brand, and the value-select series is good quality, but it's high latency (slow) RAM.

if you're going to buy a high performance processor and video card, then you should compliment them with high performance RAM as well.

other than that it will be a very nice rig :) and BTW, I hear the 6300's overclock like mad ;)

cheers :wave:

Don't forget about optical drives! Otherwise, I agree with KingCody about the memory. It could bottleneck you when you are playing games. I assume you are into gaming, otherwise you wouldn't be getting 7900GT! :grinthumb

GO TWINS!!!!

Ok, thanks for the tip about the memory... but I don't think I will have enough for anything faster. At least I'm not buying some no-name garbage... Also, I have WAYY too many optical drives lying around. It will have a LG DVD-RAM/RW that can burn just about any type of optical disc except blu-ray, and also it will have a generic 48X CD-ROM.

Just didn't want you to forget. Imagine how embarrased you'd be if you went to install XP and realised you didn't have a cd/dvd drive!

Lol, yea that would be pretty bad.

Oh yea... one more thing I wanted to say. What if I got a Pentium D 805 and a Geforce 7900GTX instead? Would that be slower in games of faster?

The Core 2 Duo is way better. BTW, I think a 7800GTX would be better innit? Or is is more expensive than the 7900GT?

Was just cheking difference for 7900 GT and 7800 GTX, and the 7800 seem to cost about 100$+ more than the 7900.

I have an 7900GT myself, and is very happy with it, i got a 6800 in my old rig, and i like that card aswell. Im not sure what other things they changed between the 2 models, but i think i would go for the 7900 if it was me.

The 7800GTX is faster according to Tom's VGA Charts but is expensive to produce according to forums on [H]ardOCP. Hence the price difference.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll stick with the Core 2 then. Also, is the 450 watt Antec PSU that comes with the Sonata II enough to run all of that?

Get a X1900XT 256MB or 7900GTO, they both cost less in the US, but perform way better. And yes.

Thanks for the suggestion but, unfortunately, in Canada, I have never even heard of a 7900GTO and a X1900XT costs almost a full $100 more here in Canada... and I don't have another $100 in my budget...

The 7900GT is a great card. And yes, that PSU is great, you should have no PSU related problems.

Regards :)

The Antec Sonata II is a really nice case. The sleek, glossy black of it is beautiful to look at. And Antec have a reputation for quality PSUs, so no worries there.
The 7900GT is a very good card and will run Oblivion silky smooth on all settings maxed out.

Hey, i bought some Cas-4 memory, 2GB of it off newegg for 170$. It was 60$ off. Wait nvm your from Canada :p, im from michigan so i could drive it across the border haha. And, it wont run Oblivian that high FYI.

I don't think you will see much of a difference from value RAM and high performance RAM. With super pi maybe, but not real world. With a nforce mobo you wont be overclocking so much that it will matter either. Nice rig though.

I just orded a $159 Opteron 165 for my DualSATA2. That would be a good upgrade for your system in your profile. But yeah, gota have that core 2.

Of course, it wouldn't run it on super high resolutions, thats what the SLI is for. On 1024x768 it would run with all settings maxed out at good frame rates.

Well, I can't upgrade because the money for the new system comes from selling the old one and if I'm getting a new system, might as well get a Core 2 Duo :p.

EDIT: And as for oblivion, I hope it runs it better than my current system... my videocard is so bad that turning HDR on doesn't make it any slower because it's already going at 17FPS at 10x7...

I think that's mainly due to the slower DDR2 memory of ur 6800 card, compared to the 6800GT/XT's DDR3 memory.

Yes... Also because the memory is 128-bit and only runs at 270 mhz or 540DDR(!!). It's pathetic. I can't wait to get all this new stuff my system will be almost 2x as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back