Ghostbusters: Afterlife trailer resurrects the Ecto-1, sees the return of Slimer

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Blast from the past: Afterlife is being produced and directed by father / son duo Jason and Ivan Reitman. The elder Reitman is perhaps best known for producing the first two Ghostbusters films in 1984 and 1989, respectively. Members of the original cast including Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson are set to reprise their roles, we’re told. The film also stars Finn Wolfhard of Stranger Things fame as well as Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd.

Sony Pictures Entertainment on Monday published the first official trailer for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, the next film in the storied Ghostbusters franchise. A true sequel to the first flicks, this new movie (technically the fourth in the series) follows a family that relocates to a creepy old farm house left to them by a family member they don’t really know much about.

Turn out, that family member was original Ghostbuster Egon Spengler and his grandkids appear to be instrumental to the telling of this new movie which will of course involve the busting of some ghosts. And the resurrection of the Ectomobile. And the return of Slimer.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is scheduled to haunt theaters in the summer of 2020.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Still can't believe that Harold Ramis (Egon) is dead... this movie will almost certainly be terrible but... I'm a sucker and will be seeing it anyways.

I'm much more interested into seeing this one as opposed to the contrived sjw version of the last one.

Now this looks good. Slow storytelling and tension buildup to the fun action bits with good SFX. Intelligent dialogue instead of needing to meet a quota of 3.4 jokes per minute. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Are movie makers starting to realise that you can revive an old movie as long as you make it dark and intelligent and don't aim it at 4-year-olds? Also, anything that the woke journalists think is good must never appear in the movie. (And yes, I think that woke journalists have the social awareness of a 4-year-old).

Watching the trailer and reading a bit of background information, it looks like they may get the movie right by offering a new story line / handing it over to a new generation while still honoring the originals and tying the new movie into the predecessors' story line (I.e. the mine was operated by the same guy who built the portal Skyscraper.

Am really excited for the new Ghostbuster movie - loved the originals (and accompanying video games, as well as the Soundtrack as a kid).

Back