Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz overclocking

Filip B

Hello guys, I've got a simple question I'm looking for anyone who tried to OC this card and could tell me his or hers experience with it. Whether it runs too hot. What is the perfect clock speed and etc.

Thanks for any replies.

I have one - in an SLI configuration with an EVGA SC.
Without upping voltage mine doesn't really OC that well ( 1070MHz core vs 1020MHz it ships with). Add a bit of voltage and it hits 1120 core (1225 boost) easily enough. It can go a little higher, but the EVGA can't keep pace (the Gigabyte is B1 silicon). Be aware that the Gigabyte's stock clock means absolutely nothing. Gaming with the card will peg the frequency at 1160-1198 depending upon the game or benchmark. Here's a Heaven run to show what I mean...
kF5qEoy.jpg

Thanks. I see however I'm kind of new to over clocking I tried to OC my cpu but that was fairly easy thanks to my ROG bios. However I have no experience with gpu over clocking. Is it safe to increase voltage? And at how much extra performance are we looking at (percent)? I can max out every game out there but I just want to know if there are possibilities for maxing out future games.

Is it safe to increase voltage?
Within reason. Using an overclocking utility such as Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector, or EVGA Precision allows you raise the voltage, but were talking millivolts.
And at how much extra performance are we looking at (percent)?
Not a lot. The GHz Edition is already clocked higher than just about any other 780. Aside from adding a points in a benchmark, you wouldn't notice the difference except the higher fan speed noise. The 780 GHz already equals a stock 780 Ti, further overclocking might net you maybe 5% more performance.
I don't generally overclock graphics cards on air cooling except for occasional benchmark runs.
I can max out every game out there but I just want to know if there are possibilities for maxing out future games.
Depends upon the game and what screen resolution you use. 1080p? You should be fine for some time to come. 2560x1600/1440? You'll already be running into games that test the card.

One more question what's your PSU? If I ever need it to go SLI. Thanks for everything you'd been a great help.

The 780 Ghz Edition I have and can overclock the memory upto 7000Mhz and the CPU up 40hz. Or 60mhz and 600mhz memory. I find the later more stable. When it comes down to it, the card is the highest factory OC production out of the box 780 and tie up with the 780ti reference card (approx 3%) away. Anyways - the 970 Gigabyte is out now which is bascially the Gigabyte 780 Ghz Edition with overclocks. When overclocked and these overclock allot better the Gigabyte 970 beats the 290x/780ti and is just shy of 4% off the 980.

Now the card of the moment is the 970 cause of its price tag! Its a no brainer. 780ti performance with 4gb and then some at £299's.

If you are doing UHD (2k) gaming the card is perfect, however 4k you will need 2 in SLI to get decent frame rates. The 290x 4GB will be dropping its prices now and the 770, 780 and 780ti have been now discontinued.

I myself will be buying a 970 as I just bought the 780 and am returning it as I am within 30 days. Makes sence!

"What is the perfect clock speed and etc."

There is no perfect for any thing when it comes to over clocking. U draw from the silicon lottery when u buy something and the only any one can figure that out is to have it an work with it!!!

'

Back