Gigabyte P34W v5 Review: Affordable 14-inch gaming laptop

Scorpus

Staff member

The Gigabyte P34W v5 is a fairly typical gaming laptop, with a standard array of high-end hardware, a decent display, and a body that won’t be setting any records for slimness or lightness. While there definitely are laptops that are more powerful, that are thinner, and that include crazy mechanical keyboards, there are also a ton of run-of-the-mill laptops out there that rely entirely on great hardware at a reasonable price to sell. The Gigabyte P34 is one of them.

There are two variants of the P34W v5 on the market, although both contain the same base hardware: an Intel ‘Skylake’ Core i7-6700HQ processor, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M discrete GPU with 3 GB of GDDR5 frame buffer. The base model, available for $1,499, features a 14-inch 1080p display with 8 GB of RAM; while the top model, and the model I reviewed, features a 14-inch 1440p display and 16 GB of RAM for $1,759.

Much like the hardware and design of the P34W v5, the price is fairly typical. An Alienware 15 equivalent to the base model will set you back $1,569, and there are also similar systems from MSI and Asus that cost just over $1,600. So how will Gigabyte’s offering stack up in a market with a reasonable selection of options already available?

Read the complete review.

So... you asked it again and again and never answered it, why were you reviewing this? It clearly doesn't stand from the rest, it's pretty much priced like the rest and when you are spending $1500 for a machine $100 more or less doesn't matter.

Bought a 6820hk 980m 15R2 alienware for a couple hundred more last black friday.

Those side ports look like they've been jammed into an unfinished plastic case. I wouldn't even consider buying one of these unless I had a chance to look it over in person.

So... you asked it again and again and never answered it, why were you reviewing this? It clearly doesn't stand from the rest, it's pretty much priced like the rest and when you are spending $1500 for a machine $100 more or less doesn't matter.

Bought a 6820hk 980m 15R2 alienware for a couple hundred more last black friday.

See, I'm fine with a review telling me this is ****. Makes sure I won't even think about buying it!

I'm going to assume because they sent it to him for review... when given something for free, one generally says "yes". Kudos for the honest review, as many reviewers are tempted to give "false positives" in order to keep receiving the freebies....

And some laptops can provide quite impressive gaming - I still have my Alienware 18 with dual 880s and it still out-performs just about any laptop out there, not to mention quite a few decent desktops... Of course, it weighs like 12 pounds....

Back