Go SLI or just upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughable

Hi,

I recently just started playing the Crysis SP demo, and to my complete disappointment, it didn't quite run as well as I'd hoped. Seeing as I only have an 8600GTS, I thought I might start cashing out on a better graphics card. I've heard all these rumors about how cool SLI is, but also how crap it is, compared with just upgrading to a better graphics card. Basically, I'm stuck in a limbo between just upgrading to the 8800GT, or getting another 8600GTS to go with my current gfx card. I don't suppose you can SLI two different graphic cards together, eh? By different, I mean the 8600GTS and the 8800GT.

I've spent quite a while googling this, and I found one a while ago (forgot the link) but it doesn't quite suit my situation as it does not cover the 8X00 cards. Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated!

For reference, here are my specs:
E6420 @ 2.13Ghz (un-overclocked, since nVidia control panel crashes whenever I try)
8600GTS 256mb (as stated above)
2gb DDR2-800 ram

And.. uh, I think that's all I need to say for what's required. I'm also thinking of slapping on another 2gb of ram, but not sure if it will really affect gameplay as much as upgrading my graphics card.

Thanks in advance, guys. :)

If you are using a flat-panel that doesn't support really high resolutions then sli would be a waste of money.

Oh. Well, I didn't know that, but for what it's worth I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, 22" that usually runs on 1680x1050. That to me is a pretty high resolution, but most of my techie friends run something like 1900xsomething.

SLI is worth it only if you routinely run games\apps at or beyond 1600x1200. Otherwise, getting a single card is a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back