Going to build my first pc in a month or two...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9813208&WishListTitle=my

How is my build looking like so far?

Of course i still have only the case, and some of those parts I've found at other places then newegg. I have $180 in amazon monies saved up too, would be nice to use it for parts! But being a deal finder, amazon just doesn't do combo deals, or really has anything cheap for computers.

This list isn't set in stone either. I like the low power consumption of that cpu, but am also considering the 5000 black addition or similar. Was also considering the dual gpu ati video cards as well, in case I end up having only one pcie slot. Looked more towards a board like this, so I could still run the system even if I didn't have all the parts yet(even has hdmi!). Though I haven't looked at monitors at all either(or desks yet so it won't be on the floor lol).

Well, tell me what you think! Thanks =-).

Looks decent.

* You can get the video card cheaper if you don't need that exact one. The 9600GTs should be able to be found for ~$130 on Newegg.

* That power supply isn't very good. Look at Corsair's 650W single rail one, or any 475W or above from brands like Enermax, Antec, PC Power&Cooling...

* Probably not worth your money for that CPU cooler. Since you are looking at a Retail CPU it will come with a stock heatsink and fan which will probably be about the same performance as that Rosewill one. If you aren't going to overclock you can get by with the stock heatsink and fan just fine. If you are going to overclock you'll want a better one than the Rosewill.

* I've had a case like that (2 actually) with the rear exhaust fan area being really 2 levels (see here) and its more difficult than it should be to put in a fan because you can't actually hold the screw while you are putting it through 2 of the holes. Its not a HUGE deal, and it can be done, its just harder than I'd like. I would suggest considering any of the tool less cases (which really only mean you don't screw in hds and cd drives) they are much better to work with. The price is slightly higher, but I saved you $20 on the HSF, so maybe look at something like this. Shipping on those things is outrageous, but occationally they will do free shipping, so be on the look out for that. Also if you order from Newegg, they don't charge you shipping for each individual part and add them up, they charge for what it costs to ship them all together. So if you are going to order a case without free shipping it will save you some money overall if you order several other parts at the same time.

The video card and power supply are still up in the air, as well are the mb and cpu if a good deal comes along. Depending on the motherboard I get, if its crossfire/sli, or with a single pcie slot will determine if I go with ati or nvidia graphics. I like the dual gpu of the ati, two cards in one sounds great. But being my first complete pc build, I don't want to spend too much money in case I screw up on something =-)

I'm just hoping I'm not missing anything on that list, in case everything changes, so I have something to look back on for a reference =-).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back