Good RTS game?

ihaveaname

Hey guys,

I was a really, really big fan of the AOE series; they're still my favourite games. But are there any newer good RTS games around? I've played Supreme Commander and whilst its graphics look modern, it's so boring! There must be more RTS games I don't know about though; any suggestions? BTW starting to try Starcraft 2. Thanks for the help....

Not really a big RTS guy, and personally I think most of them are really boring, but some other good picks include Company of Heroes, Sins, Empire Total war and Dawn of War.

As EXCellR8 mentioned already Dawn of War series and the Company of Heroes series are good. I'm in the middle of playing Dawn of War Soulstorm now (single player). Yeah, I'm a little late at getting to it. An older RTS game I like is Homeworld (original) if you can find it. It came out back in 1999. The graphics are a bit dated but the story and game play never get old.

Here's a list of some RTS/RTT games you may enjoy.

Command & Conquer Series - Great RTS especially the early games before Westwood departed, I personally liked the Tiberium Conflict games over Red Alert. The first three games of the series were released for free last year so you might be able to find them somewhere online. The only one I don't recommend is C&C4, it was a disaster on all fronts and should never have been released.
Dawn of War Series - Original ones + expansion not DoWII.
Total War Series - Especially Rome / Medieval 2 + mods. Great game that I can spend hours in easily, it's more of a TBS/RTT then RTS game.
Sins of a Solar Empire - Great Space based 4X with two expansions.
Company of Heroes Series - Fun WW2 based RTS.
Starcraft - It's Starcraft :) .
World in Conflict - A Modern Warfare RTT game.
Tom Clancy's EndWar - Another Modern Warfare RTT game, but more simplified as it was also released on the console.

There is another oldie that you should try; "Emperor: Battle for Dune." It was released by Westwood in 2001, but the graphics are not terrible or anything. I still find great fun in playing it - Westwood were (are?) among the very best RTS-makers for sure.

Also: you do not need to be familiar with the "Dune-universe" at all to find this game entertaining, although that's a plus :)

Command & Conquer : Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge, preferably with either Mental Omega or Moomans Rules.

I just tried the demo of Company of Heroes ... it's awesome! Thanks for enlightening me to this wonderful game guys; I've bought a copy off Steam already :) :) :)

i'd pretty much agree with what others have said...

company of heroes and DOW are both great , personally i prefer company of heroes , loved it.

Starcraft 2 is also great , online play can be taxing on the brain as you need t be quick , loved the campaign as well.

Last few RTS games I played/enjoyed was SC2 and DOW2 with the new expansions. I really like DOW2's mechanics as base building bores me a bit, hence why I don't play RTS too much :)

Starcraft 2 definitely has to be the best RTS game around right now but I see your already trying that, otherwise I would recommend checking out the TOTAL WAR series all brilliant games

Age of Empires 2 (nvm, that was a long time ago), still one of the best RTS I have played.
Total War is ok, if I remember correctly I got two or three of the demos a while back, but found them fairly slow paced (also got stomped by the computer a few times, controls were confusing, idk)
Command and Conquer: Generals (very nice campaigns, all three of them, and AI was somewhat smart, but multiplayer lagged quite a lot).
Starcraft 2, just bought it, have not installed yet, but have played the demo and watched videos. Very good modern RTS. Fast paced.

Must agree on the total war-ness. I've played every TW game, except for the new Shogun total war. And they are very very good. Highly reccomended. Particulary Rome Total War.
*Wishes for a Rome Total War 2...*

Here's a list of some RTS/RTT games you may enjoy.

Command & Conquer Series - Great RTS especially the early games before Westwood departed, I personally liked the Tiberium Conflict games over Red Alert. The first three games of the series were released for free last year so you might be able to find them somewhere online. The only one I don't recommend is C&C4, it was a disaster on all fronts and should never have been released.
Dawn of War Series - Original ones + expansion not DoWII.
Total War Series - Especially Rome / Medieval 2 + mods. Great game that I can spend hours in easily, it's more of a TBS/RTT then RTS game.
Sins of a Solar Empire - Great Space based 4X with two expansions.
Company of Heroes Series - Fun WW2 based RTS.
Starcraft - It's Starcraft :) .
World in Conflict - A Modern Warfare RTT game.
Tom Clancy's EndWar - Another Modern Warfare RTT game, but more simplified as it was also released on the console.

This really sums it up pretty well.

Where is my like button!

I have been playing Warcraft III since it came out and I really think it's one of the best RTS games ever made.

Back