Google discontinues Chromecast Audio, grab them while they last

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Google's decision to discontinue Chromecast Audio isn't all that surprising considering its recent push into the smart speaker space. It could also signal that similar functionality may soon come baked into its entry-level offering, Google Home Mini.

Google on Friday confirmed to several publications that it has discontinued its Chromecast Audio streaming adapter.

Introduced in 2015, Chromecast Audio is essentially a standard Chromecast, but for audio. Connect it to any standard, or “dumb,” speaker system via 3.5mm audio jack and wirelessly stream music from your mobile device.

Google said that as its product portfolio continues to evolve and they now have a variety of options for users to enjoy audio, they’ve stopped manufacturing Chromecast Audio. The company will continue to offer support to existing Chromecast Audio users, however.

Indeed, Google launched its first smart speaker, Google Home, in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. There are now multiple versions of Google Home available at a variety of price points.

The problem is that Google doesn’t have an affordable alternative that mirrors the functionality of Chromecast Audio over a 3.5mm jack. Perhaps a new version of Google Home Mini is on the way with a 3.5mm jack?

Those interested in snatching up a Chromecast Audio should act fast. They can still be had directly from Google and a few other places at the discounted price of just $15. Once they’re gone, they’re gone.

Permalink to story.

I am very disappointed by this. This is how I do zoned audio in different rooms using different types of speakers, including basic little bluetooth speakers. This sucks! I hope they keep the software working for a long time.

Put your mighty little ear buds back in, and go try to annoy someone else.
Ear buds? Never in a million years! I use DT-770 Pros. I still can't believe someone actually admitted to using Klipsh speakers rather than name dropping a decent brand instead (hint: nobody is actually going to check).

Ear buds? Never in a million years! I use DT-770 Pros. I still can't believe someone actually admitted to using Klipsh speakers rather than name dropping a decent brand instead (hint: nobody is actually going to check).
You know, the Klipsch actually are decent. With the twin 8" woofers, I don't need a sub, and the horns put it our there with just a little bit of amp.

I'm aware that you're so much more special than myself, you've told me so every time you've quoted one of my posts.

Oh, so you use headphones and not speakers. I think all headphones are trash. The transient attack is unrealistic. And real music, is experienced through air. Even if a band is using backing tracks, thy're going out though air from the PA. You can't really get the effect of a pipe organ through a set of phones. You're sadly misguided if you think you can. I only use phones trolling YouTube for new music. Then I buy the CD, and play it through loudspeakers. I know, that's anachronistic, but still better than headphones. What headphone are really good for, is when a teenager wants to listen to music at 110 (or so) db, and their parents won't let them.

The joke is, the Klipsch "Icons" I have, were once exclusive to Best Buy, who thought nothing of charging 400 bucks a pop for them. They are way better than the Chinese JBLs double 8" towers they replaced. (3-way (or more) systems are annoying. And they only cost me $300.00 for the pair.

(I only bought the JBLs out of nostalgia for my 15" D-130 & 075 ring radiator 5 cubic foot cabinets which were stolen, and both those alnico magnet drivers are discontinued).

Trust me, I've seen the crap they pass off for "hi-fi" computer speakers. You know, the ones with the 4' "subwoofers", ear buds I've never touched, and headphones are well, as I said before, annoying.

Last edited:
Back