Google Fiber expansion may be coming to Austin, Texas

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Austin, Texas, could be the next stop for Google’s coveted gigabit network. The search giant and the city of Austin have invited members of the press as well as business leaders to a joint event tomorrow. Naturally, both Google and Austin city officials aren’t commenting on the event.

It’s all speculation at this point but Austin was pretty high in the running with regards to the initial fiber rollout. Of course, it’s entirely possible that the announcement could be related to something completely different like a new Google office coming to the city or a new service such as same-day delivery.

We do know that Google chairman Eric Schmidt has said in the past that Kansas City won’t be the only location to receive the speedy network. What’s more, Austin would be a great choice for Google Fiber – arguably a better location than Kansas City. The area is home to a number of large technology companies, a major university and a booming tech startup scene as it hosts the SXSW technology and music festival each year.

One would suspect that pricing for Google’s Internet service would mirror what’s available in Kansas City. The entry level tier delivers 5Mbps down, 1Mbps up absolutely free for seven years. All you have to pay is a $300 activation fee up front. Locals can get speedy gigabit speeds (both up and down) for just $70 per month or for $120 monthly, you can receive HDTV service in addition to the net connection.

Permalink to story.

At least they've found it worthwhile to expand. More than Verizon or Comcast is doing, they just tell us we don't need it then put a cap on how much we can use.

I would rather pay for 50MB/s upload and 100MB/s download. I am never gonna need any speeds greater than the ones I stated. I am on a 5 up and 15 down now and I survive. Games download quick and I can go on with my day. Until this becomes standard, there is no need.

@ JC713

How much are they paying you to post this type of bs? Sounds like a great and easy job to try and detour net innovation, better quality service, and remove the monopoly businesses like Comcast have on most of their service areas (and are allowed to provide horrid customer service).

@ JC713

How much are they paying you to post this type of bs? Sounds like a great and easy job to try and detour net innovation, better quality service, and remove the monopoly businesses like Comcast have on most of their service areas (and are allowed to provide horrid customer service).

true, quite true.

Why not put this fiber service in an already established network/server hub city such as Dallas? This would actually do more good for consumers and businesses in and outside of Texas. This is nothing more than google rewarding Austin for being a liberal city, as google itself as a company is filled with backwards thinking liberals.

LOL. Keep Austin weird baby! I'm sure Google is reading that one guy from Dallas' comment and reconsidering something we don't even know for sure is going to happen. Entitlement to fictional items... Are you sure you are not from California?

Back