Google issuing cease and desist letter to YouTube MP3 conversion sites

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google is in the process of contacting multiple websites that are used by millions to convert YouTube videos into MP3s. The search giant claims that such services are in violation of YouTube’s terms of service and is giving site owners seven days to cease their practices or face potential legal consequences.

Sites like Music-Clips.net and YouTube-MP3.org allow a user to plug in a YouTube URL and within a few minutes, an MP3 of the audio from the video is made available for download. Services like this are immensely popular, especially among youth. YouTube-MP3.org receives 1.3 million visitors each day according to Google’s DoubleClick service.

google threatens sue huge youtube mp3 conversion site google youtube mp3 coversion site

In the letter to site owners, YouTube’s associate product counsel Harris Cohen notes that their ToS agreement prohibits applications that separate, isolate or modify audio or video components of any YouTube content made available through the site’s API. Furthermore, it’s illegal for any application to facilitate storing copies of YouTube content outside of the site.

In the interim, Google has reportedly blocked all of YouTube-MP3’s servers from accessing YouTube, effectively rendering the site useless to visitors looking to create and download free music. For their part, YouTube-MP3 claims his site doesn’t use the YouTube API but operates through different means.

It’s unclear why Google is just now taking action against such sites and their practices but perhaps content creators like major record labels have been putting pressure on Google to mount an offensive. Just last year a group of record labels sued a similar racket called TubeFire.

Permalink to story.

oh god, people will just have to go back to bittorrent for their music.
good job relocating "piracy", google

That's a bummer. I've found music on YouTube that isn't available for purchase anywhere. D.J. mixes and such that I've used the mp3 conversion on. Figured Google would get up in arms about it sooner or later.

Google owns DoubleClick? Aren't they the ad-serving outfit that got in trouble years ago for tracking people's browsing patterns?

That's a bummer. I've found music on YouTube that isn't available for purchase anywhere. D.J. mixes and such that I've used the mp3 conversion on. Figured Google would get up in arms about it sooner or later.

yes it is a bummer, but it's not uncommon for the people who steal content to wreck it for those who don't.

No problem I use replay media catcher. It records music of the sound card, which this cannot be illegal.

what about "IDM" - this download manager can also download videos from youtube.

what about "DVDvideosoft Free Studio" - this application can download audio and video from youtube.

Google is surely just trying to appear more proactive to look good for the industry.

What?! Am I reading this right? Argh matey, welcome aboard ;-) .

I do the same, it is still infringement since we are technically stealing it, but its impossible to catch, I mean literally impossible, the FBI would have to sit there in your room and watch you do it for the most part, since all it shows on the internet is that u listened to a song.

I also agree with what was said earlier sometimes youtube is the only place too find certain artists, or people who do remixes and post on youtube only.

I meant using a sound catcher style software or device in my post above, downloading it off the web or using a converter is trackable.

I do the same, it is still illegal since it is infringement, but its impossible to catch, I mean literally impossible, the FBI would have to sit there in your room and watch you do it for the most part, since all it shows on the internet is that u listened to a song.

FTFY

I was one of the ones that used that service but now it is not abiliable anymore you guys from google are something else. The page that used that from you tube top mp3 is really saved I have been using it for about a year and naothing has happen to my cumputer I think that they just dont want to let real users get the music that they love for free. You guys are just not right.

I wouldn't worry. Even if these sites go down there will always be another way to extract an mp3 from the video.

Also who the **** apart from 13 year olds use these services? Torrent it. Simple

honestly I think it goes unrecognized as a great music hosting and sampling site, better than many music oriented sites themselves.

There is no music available in digital form, it's all crap, so not a problem.

The truth is, sometimes DDL/Torrents don't have what you're looking for. But that rare chance isn't big enough to cause concern for record labels.

Back