Google launches new Backup and Sync tool for Windows and macOS

Jos

Google has launched its new Backup and Sync tool which is meant as a one-stop backup solution, replacing the existing Photos uploader and Drive for Windows and macOS. The app essentially combines the functionality of the two but also brings auto-sync for any folder on your machine and can also automatically import files from SD cards and USB devices when plugged into the PC.

Users get the same 15GB of free storage that comes with Google Drive, which is okay for most day-to-day backups of a few folders. Those who are interested in backing up larger amounts of data can upgrade to 100GB for $1.99 per month, 1TB for $9.99 per month or 10TB for $99.99 per month.

Enterprise, Business and Education users of G Suite are recommended to keep using Google Drive until a business-focused solution called Drive File Stream comes out later this year. There’s an early adopter program for them if they want access ahead of the full release.

If you’re already a Drive or Photos user, Backup and Sync will keep any current settings with regards to how file deletions are handled as well as photo and video upload size.

Permalink to story.

"I have a cheaper alternative" comments incoming...(while not really doing the same).

This is interesting without a doubt. I like the fact that you can now sync whatever folder you want and not just the ones within the \Drive\ folder.

You can already backup any folder or file to Drive as far as I know, just as long as you have the space but the auto sync feature is new.

It appears that there is still no official Google Sync client for Linux. Dropbox and others have been available on Linux for a while...

Thanks for the heads up TS!

Not sure how, but I've been using Google Drive off and on for a couple years and I have 117GB available and I've never paid for more space.
Thanks, Google?

Does anyone else have more than 15GB and has never paid out of pocket for more?

So we can now sync files that aren't in the designated sync folder, but we still can't have multiple accounts set up? That would be handy for some, I suppose. While I can see the appeal to auto-import SD cards (cameras etc), I still want to sign in to my personal drive, and my work drive simultaneously.

That said, I can just set up a QNap NAS to sign in to both accounts, sync them to folders on the NAS, and then run QSync to have them both show up normally. It's just not ideal.

So we can now sync files that aren't in the designated sync folder, but we still can't have multiple accounts set up? That would be handy for some, I suppose. While I can see the appeal to auto-import SD cards (cameras etc), I still want to sign in to my personal drive, and my work drive simultaneously.

That said, I can just set up a QNap NAS to sign in to both accounts, sync them to folders on the NAS, and then run QSync to have them both show up normally. It's just not ideal.
This could lead to people using multiple free accounts and having a lot of storage without paying a dime.
No you can't, and auto sync is not new.
If Google Drive is running on your PC, it will automatically sync whatever files you put in it.
That's what I thought... but I had a doubt that maybe they added it as a feature and I simply never knew about it. Still one way or the other it's here now and it sounds awesome. Had some massive steps to create symbolic links to sync certain folders I really needed without being able to move them.

This could lead to people using multiple free accounts and having a lot of storage without paying a dime.
Allowing multiple users to share a common account, has historically (aka more than 3 decades) been an administrative nightmare and when there's a CIO(Chief Information Officer), they typically forcefully prohibit this implementation. The shared data is unmanaged and changes can not be tracked.

Back