Grand Theft Auto V sales cross the $1 billion mark in just three days

Shawn Knight

Staff member

grand theft auto sales video game grand theft auto v

Grand Theft Auto V is now the fastest-selling video game in history. Where it took the previous record-holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, a full 15 days to reach $1 billion in sales, GTA V needed just three days to pull off the same feat. Early estimates pin the game’s lifetime earnings at $1.4 billion but if the current momentum holds strong through the holiday season, we could be looking at the first ever $2 billion game.

Publisher Take-Two Interactive announced the milestone on Friday but it’s anyone’s guess as to how long the game will hold the record. That’s because a serious challenger, the latest installment in the Call of Duty franchise, is slated to drop later this holiday season.

Call of Duty games have created and broken the sales record several times over. The key difference between Call of Duty: Ghosts and GTA V is the number of systems the game will debut on. Where GTA V launched on the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, Ghosts will be hitting those consoles along with the Wii U and the PC all on the same day. Not that it helps in this argument but the game will also be available on the PlayStation 4 come November 15 and the Xbox One on November 22.

GTA V could have no doubt reached the milestone even faster had they released a version for the PC alongside the 360 and PS3. There are currently no official plans for the PC or next generation consoles but they’d have to be crazy not to eventually port the game to these systems.

Permalink to story.

That is huge! And it might be the first time that I've been interested enough in the franchise to consider buying a copy. I would just prefer that on PC.

No movies come close because if you think about it, a game costs 60USD where as a movie would be 12USD on average. That equates to less then 25% cost per unit for the movie.

The greatest accomplishment of feminism: Turn men into a bunch of jobless lady boy losers that play video games all day.

bwahahahahah

My explanation is.......americans
Come on now your US hate is getting away with you, stores all over the U.K and other places were opening at midnight to allow earliest access and were packed. Hell the U.K. alone bought around 1.6 million copies on the first day, yet your response is "americans" how blind is your hipster hatred?

It's actually a pretty good game regardless of platform. I do agree that It would had hit the billion faster if there was a pc version on day one.

I don't think this record is going to be beat anytime soon.
I wouldn't hold my breath. This record will probably be history before we even wipe the crap from our eyes. They said the same about COD MW, COD BO/2, GTA IV and the list goes on...

@ Skidmarksdelux : RockStar deserves all the success in the world. They actually spend years developing every detail in a game, unlike Activision rehashing the same game every year. Heck I remember a RockStar clip with employees arguing over whose tree was better. My only issue is having to wait for PC release on a series that began on PC. I remember wasting life away on GTA and London 1969/61, then GTA 2... It wasn't until Sony through heaps of cash at them for a PS2 exclusive (GTA 3).

@ Skidmarksdelux : RockStar deserves all the success in the world. They actually spend years developing every detail in a game, unlike Activision rehashing the same game every year. Heck I remember a RockStar clip with employees arguing over whose tree was better. My only issue is having to wait for PC release on a series that began on PC. I remember wasting life away on GTA and London 1969/61, then GTA 2... It wasn't until Sony through heaps of cash at them for a PS2 exclusive (GTA 3).

Me too. The GTA franchise has always been and will always be my favorite, even if it ceases to exist I'll always remember it with fondness and the hours, nay months I spent playing them all.

Back