Graphics card installation problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently bought a 3DFuzion geforce 6200 128mb pci card for my dimension 3000. (2.8ghz, 1024mb RAM)

i followed the instructions on the manual: disable onboard graphics, physically installed the card in a free PCI slot, and then booted up. i then used the cd to install the drivers, which was the next step according to the manual, but near the end of every installation, it starts to lag, with the screen blacking out for about 2 seconds then going back to normal. however, after 2 more seconds the screen blacks out again with a blinking cursor on the top left of the screen.

every time i try to install the driver, i get the same problem. is it a problem with the drivers?

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Whenever I install a graphics adaptor it does this as well. It seems like the new driver is refreshing the screen. Also, the first refresh could also the driver uninstalling the old adaptor. Is the screen fine otherwise when you use the computer?

emm the screen doesnt recover after the second black out... i left it for about 10-15 mins and it was still at the screen with the flashing cursor

after rebooting from the black screen, the refresh rates drop, and scrolling through web pages take a lot longer than normal..

It might be a power supply issue. Do you know how many watts are in the power supply? Or how many amps are on the 12v rail?

TO CHECK:

1. Power off computer, and unplug it
2. Ground yourself
3. Open the case
4. Look on the top, lefthand side for a label that lists a
bunch of values
5. Look for the wattage, and a number under where it says 12v (it should end with an a).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back