Graphics card/irq problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser

I am not sure where to post this so I decided to choose this one because it has to do with video/grahpics.

People told me that having componet's irq number matching another componets number is bad. But I really don't know for myself, sorry I am dumb when it comes to this, so I need someone to let me know if the irq window pic below is good or bad. My Gerforce 3 matches with two other componets and need to know if I should try to change the numbers/reinstall drivers.

thanks for your time....

irq.jpg

Maybe you could start off with some info on your System's hardware & OS. Things aren't solved the same way if you're using a Win9x OS or 2K/Xp one.

Before you start messing around with anyting, I have to ask you this : Is your system giving you problems as it is ? People say a lot of things, not much of it is true.;)

IRQ conflict?
control panel> system> device mgr> computer>
did you check for Yellow (!) any conflicts?
What irq's your using (they're listed)

Depending on your Motherboard & Bios:
Go into BIOS,see if there's a pnp/pci configuration.
on the Rh side should be four "pirq" settings.

Manually assigning the IRQs is possible in the "PnP/PCI configuration" BIOS submenu.
PIRQ_0 is for AGP and PCI-1
PIRQ_1 is for PCI-2 and PCI-3
PIRQ_2 is for PCI-5
PIRQ_3 is for PCI-4, PCI-6 and USB controllers.

The AGP slot and PCI-1 share an IRQ
PCI-2 and PCI-3 share an IRQ
PCI-4, PCI-6, and USB controllers share an IRQ
PCI-5 has its own IRQ

IRQs problems with sound cards (SB Live, Aureal cards)
Windows has to reconfigure the IRQs when new componets are added (IE: NIC cards)
IRQs gets reassigned & the sound card ends up sharing IRQs with other devices.
Erratic sound card detection and also instability is the result.
These problems I usually fixed by manually reserving IRQ5 for the sound card.
-------------------------
Locks up in 3D applications
It’s possible that you have a hardware conflict with another device that Windows is not detecting.
IE: a card on IRQ 11 should not share with other devices except “IRQ holder for PCI steering”
This is a common problem when ACPI is enabled. ACPI loves to assign a lot of devices on IRQ 9 and/or 11, which is very problematic
with your configuration.
-------------------

okay, before, the geforce 3 had the same irq number as the sound card. which was causing locks in 3d apps a lot.

I fixed that, by reinstalling the drivers, but yesterday I noticed the geforce 3 sharing with other devices again, (as in the pic I posted) and its sharing with the two usb controller.

so far, I haven't ran into any lock ups, YET.

I plan on running 3d mark and leaving some 3d demos on for 4 hours or so to see if nothing locked up.

but so far, nothing bad happend.

I checked device manager and I came across no errors, I checked the nivida display moniter icon, says its working properly.

Gah...Kaiser, how can you read your Windows color scheme...Black on dark blue, :dead: terrible for your eyes.

After unc's post I really don't have anything to add :dead:

Just thought I'd remark on your color scheme :stickout:

alright, now I am noticing lock ups in games, usually after 6 or 8 minuites when I am playing 3d games.

I have a MSI Kt7 Turbo for my mobo, I hate messing with the bios, so can anyone guild me to fix the irq problem. I just want to make where my geforce 3 isn't sharing any irq numbers.

Kaiser,

Hmm, what version of Windows are you running? My card shares an IRQ with my modem, but I have a PCI card. No problems tho'.

Been so long since I looked at my IRQ's I can't remember how. LOL! Refresh my memory on how you pulled up that window you posted, please. :blush:

Do you have anything connected to those USB ports? I have a mouse, keyboard & JS on mine & can/do also hook up a camera. No conflicts. All are set at 'Auto-Configure' in system>device manager>properties too.

If you can remind me how to get that 'table' I'll look at mine & we can compare & *maybe* that will help. ;)

No answers (sorry) but I'll try to help you diagnose it, if I can

Kaiser,

Process of elimination then: disconnect each & see if there is a difference. I don't *think* it's the floppy drive because you prolly aren't using it when playing, but that DSL ... :confused:

If you unplug it & the problem ceases: change it's IRQ thru 'Device Manager' would be my suggestion.

HTH,

IRQ's in the BIOS submenu

Read my above post
RE: Manually assigning the IRQ's in the "PnP/PCI configuration" BIOS submenu.

Re: IRQ's in the BIOS submenu

Originally posted by uncleel
Read my above post
RE: Manually assigning the IRQ's in the "PnP/PCI configuration" BIOS submenu.

I hit enter on irq slot 11 and I was given a choice between pnp and Legacy isa.

Re: Re: IRQ's in the BIOS submenu

Originally posted by Kaiser
I hit enter on irq slot 11 and I was given a choice between pnp and Legacy isa. (slot)

Make sure nothing goes in the 1st pci slot under the agp slot.
see if you can manually assign IRQ 9 for your vid card
& IRQ 5 for your sound card. You may have disable PnP aware OS. Leave the rest on AUTO.

well, it appears my sound card is below my video card, so tomorrow I'll move the sound card to the next slot.

btw, is there any way to change the irq numbers in windows?

Originally posted by Kaiser
I'll move the sound card to the next slot.

Rather than radomly switching cards around in pci slots...
Depending on your Motherboard & Bios:
Go into BIOS,see if there's a pnp/pci configuration.
on the Rh side should be four "pirq" settings.

Manually assigning the IRQs is possible in the "PnP/PCI configuration" BIOS submenu.
PIRQ_0 is for AGP and PCI-1
PIRQ_1 is for PCI-2 and PCI-3
PIRQ_2 is for PCI-5
PIRQ_3 is for PCI-4, PCI-6 and USB controllers.

The AGP slot and PCI-1 share an IRQ
PCI-2 and PCI-3 share an IRQ
PCI-4, PCI-6, and USB controllers share an IRQ
PCI-5 has its own IRQ

in the bios, I have PIRQ_0 selected, it on the right side of the screen it says

devices used:

bus 1: Display controller
bus 0: usb controller
bus 0: usb controller

no matter what number I changed in the PIRQ_0, it always share those three.

I changed it to 5 and now those three are sharing irq 5, and still causing conflicts.

PIRQ_3 isn't being used, how can I get it to use the usb controllers? I tried having it use irq 11 but still no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back