Graphics card prices fall sharply for second month in a row

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Once again, graphics card prices and availability have improved in Germany and Austria, giving consumers more cause for optimism. Products are still above MSRP, of course, but the rate of improvement over the last two months has been steep.

German site 3DCenter in June reported that the average price of RTX 3000-series cards in Germany had fallen from three times above MSRP to just under double, while the Radeon RX 6000 line was down from 114% above MSRP in early May to 81%. This month has seen more price drops for both companies' products, falling to 53% above MSRP.

The graph illustrates the declining price of cards since peaking in May. The China crackdown on crypto mining that impacted Bitcoin and Ethereum was the beginning of the fall. With miners in the country selling their used cards in bulk, the average selling price of Nvidia’s and AMD’s offerings in China has dropped 45% over the last two months.

Another factor has been the introduction of Nvidia’s Lite Hash Rate (LHR) versions of its RTX 3080, RTX 3070, and RTX 3060 Ti, combined with increased production and more anti-scalping measures at physical retailers.

3DCenter reports that availability of the cards keeps improving. The only Ampere product not to receive a 4/5 rating for availability is the RTX 3060 Ti (3/5), which continues to be in high demand. It’s a similar story with RDNA 2: only the Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT failed to receive 4/5.

Card prices are now at their lowest since the start of February. Given the rate of decline, a return to normality in Germany and Austria—and the rest of the world, hopefully—might not be as far away as initially feared.

Permalink to story.

Will probably be on a downward trend until that annoying gobshite, Elon Musk, decides to utter another one of his Messiah like mining edicts, and the the flock of sheep will come running to push prices up again...

My sentiment about video card prices at the moment...

chum.png

Last edited:
The people trying to get the lower-end cards are getting hit the hardest.

I am thankful I was able to get two 3090 FTW3 from Microcenter at the MSRP of $1799 ($1955 with tax), because looking back in retrospect, it was a huge expense, but compared to this scalping insanity, I would do it again.

I am also happy that people willing to buy prebuilt can get a decent card. My TUF laptop for podcasting came with a 3050Ti for $1099.

Some people are left with no option but to pay what I paid for a lowly 3080 or 3080Ti.

If these potential buyers had discipline they would refuse to buy anything till prices dropped, but the crypto scam miners would still be buying and prices still wouldn't drop.

Last edited:
Prices might be trickling down, but many cards are still so over priced at local retailers that they might just continue to sit there until the retailer stops deciding to be a prick about the prices and drops them.

Look at the AMD cards at Micro Center stores - well over 2x the MSRP on most of them. 6700XT cards that should be around $480, easily going for $900+ (and you're luck if you can find one near the $900 range).

The 6800 and 6800XT variants tend to move the fastest since they can generally be found closer to the $1100-1400 price point, making the 6700XT moot in comparison. However, some versions are horribly overpriced and upwards of $1500-1800.

The 6900XT, you're looking easily at $2.5k+ for most models. A few I've seen come through my local MC store near the $2K mark.

Nvidia cards, they're a helluva bargain in comparison, especially EVGA cards that make it into the stores. Those cards are selling at similar prices as you can find them on the EVGA store (if you're on the notification list and get your chance to buy). 3070Ti cards selling for $699. 3060 cards selling for $399.

Other AIB for Nvidia are still priced a bit higher, but even when you can land a RTX 3070 for around $700-800, that's a steal when compared to the nearly $1k for a 6700 XT.

In the end, I'm not sure if Micro Center is screwing over the consumers with some of their pricing or if they took it in the shorts and are only trying to recoup their money with some of these outrageously overpriced GPUs sitting on their shelves.

It's 53% over MSRP, not 153%. Inb4 it's still to high - yeah, but there's a huge difference between 2.53x and 1.53x recommended price.
Actually if we take this specific example yes, you're right, but based on prices around the world, not everywhere the drop was as much as presented here.

So even though I made a semantic error since English is not my native language, at the same time is also true, mathematically in other parts of the world. I still see these prices 2.5x (and before were 3.5x) depending on what store I look at, from what region.

Prices might be trickling down, but many cards are still so over priced at local retailers that they might just continue to sit there until the retailer stops deciding to be a prick about the prices and drops them.

Look at the AMD cards at Micro Center stores - well over 2x the MSRP on most of them. 6700XT cards that should be around $480, easily going for $900+ (and you're luck if you can find one near the $900 range).

The 6800 and 6800XT variants tend to move the fastest since they can generally be found closer to the $1100-1400 price point, making the 6700XT moot in comparison. However, some versions are horribly overpriced and upwards of $1500-1800.

The 6900XT, you're looking easily at $2.5k+ for most models. A few I've seen come through my local MC store near the $2K mark.

Nvidia cards, they're a helluva bargain in comparison, especially EVGA cards that make it into the stores. Those cards are selling at similar prices as you can find them on the EVGA store (if you're on the notification list and get your chance to buy). 3070Ti cards selling for $699. 3060 cards selling for $399.

Other AIB for Nvidia are still priced a bit higher, but even when you can land a RTX 3070 for around $700-800, that's a steal when compared to the nearly $1k for a 6700 XT.

In the end, I'm not sure if Micro Center is screwing over the consumers with some of their pricing or if they took it in the shorts and are only trying to recoup their money with some of these outrageously overpriced GPUs sitting on their shelves.

Microcenter jumped on the "scalping" bandwagon by charging way over MSRP. I was forced to buy a card this year, a 6800 vanilla, for $800 from them. IMO, the card mfgs need to crack down on retailers selling over MSRP.

Microcenter jumped on the "scalping" bandwagon by charging way over MSRP. I was forced to buy a card this year, a 6800 vanilla, for $800 from them. IMO, the card mfgs need to crack down on retailers selling over MSRP.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine the kind of terror that they might have used to get you to do such a thing. I trust you got the authorities involved after they let you and your loved ones go.

After many months, I was able to get a rx6900 at msrp at amd.com.

Maybe it will be easier to get more.

Funny enough, when I was able to get a 5600 on their site, they never went on backorder since.

Maybe this means that the same will happen with their gpus.

I dont think in this free world you are forced to do anything except pay taxes and die.
MC did not hold you hostage at the door and make you pay for a GPU. You did that of your own free will.

Yeah right! Just like the price of wood dropped 40% last month. Yet the price of wood at the store has gone up.

The marketing trend this week is promoting crypto mining due to a higher profitability source coindesk. FYI. Also miners are flocking to other parts of the world outside of Ch!na. Unfortunately the current downtrend of prices seems to be limited, fortunately etherium 2.0 rumors are surfacing but point to 2022 now. Also cryptominers looking for alternative coins to mine. If you get a chance to purchase a gpu at msrp do not give up the opportunity. My theory is that it would be short lived but I hope I'm wrong.

The marketing trend this week is promoting crypto mining due to a higher profitability source coindesk. FYI. Also miners are flocking to other parts of the world outside of Ch!na. Unfortunately the current downtrend of prices seems to be limited, fortunately etherium 2.0 rumors are surfacing but point to 2022 now. Also cryptominers looking for alternative coins to mine. If you get a chance to purchase a gpu at msrp do not give up the opportunity. My theory is that it would be short lived but I hope I'm wrong.

Ethereum 2.0 might bring some relief to demand, but there will always be other GPU mineable cryptos not running on Ethereum, which I'm sure miners will flock to... so whenever Eth 2.0 comes, it will cause a downtrend in gpu prices but like you say it will probably be short lived. If anything, for those speculating the market, it will be a good time to gamble on GPU mineable coins that aren't Ethereum tokens (theoretically it probably shouldn't since supply will increase with more miners flocking to them, but the market is far from rational).

Yeah right! Just like the price of wood dropped 40% last month. Yet the price of wood at the store has gone up.
It takes time for the price to reach the consumer. The price of wood was going up three months before prices at my home depot shot up. The cheap wood worked its way thought he suppliers first.

Same reason gas prices can lag for up to a week after oil prices shoot up or down.

At least right now there is still a major supply issue, cards will need to sit in stock for most models before retail prices will crater.

It takes time for the price to reach the consumer. The price of wood was going up three months before prices at my home depot shot up. The cheap wood worked its way thought he suppliers first.

Same reason gas prices can lag for up to a week after oil prices shoot up or down.

At least right now there is still a major supply issue, cards will need to sit in stock for most models before retail prices will crater.
BS on the gas scenario. Price of crude goes up and the very next day the price at the pump jumps too. Only when the price of oil drops does it take forever for it to drop at the pump.

I have just bought RTX3080Ti for 1,553 euro, which I think isn't so bad.

I got it here, though if you are not registered there as a company, the price will include 23% VAT - https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90833010

From within my account there, the price looks like this:

card.png

If you are in Europe, that website is the best, price-wise.

Last edited:
Back