graphics cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittie

i just got a new comp and just found out it only has a pci express x8 and x1 and 2 pci slot. what graphics cards can i use that will play BF2 and other games

please correct me if I'm mistaking(I still run on good old AGP :) ) but as far as I know, one can run pci-express cards that are x16 on a x8 slot. It will run slower, but if you have a good card, it will run any game easily. The speed difference isn't that much. Anyway, it really depends on the games you want to play. If indeed you can run x16 pci express cards on a x8 slot, you can choose any card you want.. my advice is to choose one from the 7 series(anything in the nvidia geforce 7 series will run BF2 just fine) but with an eye on the future, a 7600gt is recommended. If you have the money to spare, an 7800gt/gtx or a 7900/7950 are even better. If you have money to burn, go for either the 8800GTS or 8800GTX. (these are from the new nvidia geforce 8 series) these are the top of the line cards at the moment, but they're expensive. Can someone please confirm that x16 cards will run on x8 slots though? thanks.

edit: did I just sound like an nvidia fanboy? :D I just completely forgot about ATI. it's because I've always used nvidia... hmm, well, the x1800/1900/pro/xt/xtx will do just fine too. At the moment, the 8800GTX is the best card on the market though, but I dont know if that's what you want.

Kittie I think u are wrong as many of the new motherboards are using the x8 slots to do sli.

They are the same size.... there is NO physical SIZE difference between x8 and x16 just a speed difference.

If you can't figure out how to insert your video card then you should seriously just take your comp to a store and have them do it for you. Before you brake something.

AGP and PCI-E aren't compatible. In other words, no, AGP cards won't fit into PCI-E and vice versa.

Also (don't quote me), there might be physical size differences between x8 and x16 slots, just as there are physical differences between the x4 and x16 slots. There are x4 slots which are physically the same as X16 slots, and there are x4 slots which are physically different. I don't see why x8 slots cannot be the same.

However, just like how x4 cards can be put into x16 slots (even though its much smaller), x8 should fit into x16 slots. Doesn't work the other way around.

Although I mentioned that its possible for x8 slots which are smaller than x16, I didn't say that there are. They might be the same as x16 slots, but run at x8, in which case, x16 cards will still be able to be run on that slot, just not at x16 speeds (which I dare mention no cards are fully utilizing at the moment).

Most motherboards have 16X slots. If they are SLI boards they usually have two slots the same size but in SLI mode they are clocked down to 8X. Only the newest SLI boards have 2 16X slot that run at 16X in SLI mode.

What motherboard do you have? Is it a Dell machine? They are about the only ones that use 8X slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back