GTA 6 rumored to arrive in 2022, setting will return to Vice City

midian182

Staff member

Incredibly, Grand Theft Auto V first arrived on last-gen consoles back in 2013, yet it continues to sell well and is played by millions, thanks mostly to its online mode. But the lack of single-player DLC has left fans wondering when the next installment in the series will arrive. According to new rumors, we’re going to be waiting a few more years for GTA 6, which will be set in Vice City and feature a female protagonist.

Citing an “inside source,” YouTube channel The Know says the next GTA will be released within the next three to four years. The game is being called ‘Project Americas’ internally by Rockstar and will be set in either Florida or GTA’s version of the sunshine state–Vice City. It will also see players fly to South America for some missions, suggesting a drug smuggling link.

These few details bring to mind 2002’s GTA Vice City, and GTA 6 may even see the action return to 1980s. As with GTA V, the sequel is said to feature multiple protagonists, including the first female character.

2021 or 2022 does seem a long way off, and Rockstar often misses its release deadlines so the later date is more likely. But as GTA Online continues to make an obscene amount of money, the company is in no hurry to release a brand-new game.

There have been reports of GTA 6’s development stretching back to early 2016, but these new rumors should be taken with a heavy dose of salt. The Know channel isn’t always accurate when it comes to leaks, but it did get Dark Souls 3’s details right before they were officially revealed.

Permalink to story.

How about a Grand Theft Auto game with a setting that takes place outside America for once. That would be refreshing.

But how would the non American game studio make fun of American culture if the game isn't in America, think man think!

They can always make fun of other countries like Australia and such. Sometimes it's good to think outside the box.

Man I hope that is real info... would love another Vice City. Hope for another large single player campaign as well. I just don't care for GTA online.

How about a Grand Theft Auto game with a setting that takes place outside America for once. That would be refreshing.
It is unlikely. Dan Houser, GTA's producer and headwritter, already tried to do a GTA set in London. GTA is a burlesque comment on society, american society. With the recent success of TV series like Narcos, El Chapo (both on Netflix) and movies like Sicario which is receiving a sequel, I bet my money they will go to Miami, I mean Vice City. Maybe some levels in a South American jungle, rural county. Something more akin to Ghost Recon Wildlands.

EDIT: remember the backlash of Max Payne set in Brazil? It was Dan Houser as the lead writter, now imagine how fans would complain in a much bigger franchise.

Back