Guardians of the Galaxy requires 150GB of storage space

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy will be the latest AAA title to require a huge chunk of your precious storage space. Maker Square Enix has updated the game’s Steam page to confirm that players will need a spare 150GB on their drive. However, it appears that’s only for installation purposes: the game itself will take up a much more reasonable 32GB once the process is complete.

Guardians of the Galaxy arrives next week with a slew of PC-specific perks, including real-time ray-traced reflections, DLSS, diffuse illumination, HDR & wide color gamut, and support for up to 8K resolutions.

PC owners are also going to need a good chunk of spare drive space if they want to play the game—unless they decide to stream it via Nvidia’s GeForce Now, where it will also offer ray tracing.

While 150GB is hefty, TheGamer reports that this is for installation purposes only; GotG will take up 32GB of space once installed (Update: it's now been confirmed that the game will take up 80GB at launch). It’s also recommended that players opt to install it on a fast SSD for the best experience. Kingston’s 7,000MB/s KC3000, for example, would be good choice for those with a CPU that supports PCIe 4.0.

The rest of the Guardians of the Galaxy PC requirements are very forgiving, even the recommended specs ask for a Ryzen 5 1600 / Intel Core i7-4790 and GeForce GTX 1660 Super / AMD Radeon RX 590.

Minimum system requirements

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 / Intel® Core™ i5-4460
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon™ RX 570
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 150 GB available space

Recommended system requirements

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 / Intel® Core™ i7-4790
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Super / AMD Radeon™ RX 590
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 150 GB available space

Guardians of the Galaxy lands on October 26 (next Tuesday) for PC and consoles. Check out the launch trailer at the top of the page, which gives us a brief glimpse of “key character” Adam Warlock.

Permalink to story.

What? Square Enix couldn't flip the bill to get the rights from Disney for the actors to voice or even look the parts of these characters?

I personally find it hard to watch the trailer with the characters looking as bad as they do and even harder to listen to it with different voices than the movies.

Maybe the game will be good? I guess I won't know because it'll bug me every second playing that the characters looks and voice don't match the movies......oh well. I've got other games to play to keep me occupied.

I wish the game devs would at least allow textures and other such assets to be a separate download so I can pick and chose "Yes, I'll be using only high quality textures and that pack is 30 gb, I don't really need to also download the 50gb ultra quality textures since chances are they look about the same and even modern cards continue to have issues with high resolution textures at 4k still and I certainly don't need the other 20gb pack for medium and low quality textures"

Last edited:
I wish the game devs would at least allow textures and other such assets to be a separate download so I can pick and chose "Yes, I'll be using only high quality textures and that pack is 30 gb, I don't really need to also download the 50gb ultra quality textures since chances are they look about the same and even modern cards continue to have issues with high resolution textures at 4k still and I certainly don't need the other 20gb pack for medium and low quality textures"
do you think this might be something that crosses the thought process of game devs in general? I think I've seen some games implement than, but that may have just been one or two I randomly tried, this year

It needs 32GB for play and 150GB for isntall?

This is next gen laziness. Learn to zip your installation files guys.
Of course it's next gen laziness, because except for some RT reflections (which need to be evaluated to see if they are any good), nothing is next gen in this game. It's still made as a cross-gen with old consoles as a dead weight limitation, so yeah...

Oh wow the game took a page from Call of Duty. Sad part is this game isn't really even next gen and asking for so much space like if it holds 8k images... smh

do you think this might be something that crosses the thought process of game devs in general? I think I've seen some games implement than, but that may have just been one or two I randomly tried, this year
Well it's not without it's issues, mostly related to DRM I am sure: if you just pack textures by themselves even if encrypted I bet suits in the business side somewhere will think it's easier to "pirate the assets" (It's really not if they're properly encrypted, but it won't stop their concerns because well, let's just say I don't have a lot of respect for the technical know-how of business people in tech and gaming)

Also it does involve a bit more costs of development, not a lot mind you but somebody has to code an installer that prompts user to select textures or autodetect. I know for example Steam might need to have the textures packaged as DLC assets for example and it might not be very elegant to have users purchase a "package" instead of a single game with a single download.

These are all issues that are normally selfishly passed on to the user in the form of "Buy more SSDs" however and that's kind of not ok if you ask me but it is what it is.

Depends on the game, many just use one set of textures then degrade the quality for lower image settings as opposed to having 4 sets of everything. It's not that easy to streamline and most people jsut download it and move on.
So I still have to download 150GB of files then it compresses it down to 32GB during the installation process?
It really makes no sense, it should be the reverse, 32GB download and 150GB when installed. I cant think of a single game that did it like this.

Are we sure that Squeenix didnt royally fu ck it up and get the numbers backwards?

Depends on the game, many just use one set of textures then degrade the quality for lower image settings as opposed to having 4 sets of everything. It's not that easy to streamline and most people jsut download it and move on.
It really makes no sense, it should be the reverse, 32GB download and 150GB when installed. I cant think of a single game that did it like this.

Are we sure that Squeenix didnt royally fu ck it up and get the numbers backwards?
true but some games, would offer actual texture packs within the actual game. Of the games I've given a try, the only one I noticed that did this was a recent cod games. They also ended up having some kind of texture streaming feature as well. Never heard of it until today

This'll never happen because people are stupid, they'll buy the game, install it and be like "hey, this is ugly" then go review bomb it or get a refund because they didnt know you could download better textures. Sure, it'll be explained on the store page, but people dont read.

for me at least, I have terabytes of drive storage so its no big deal, but also I understand if you want games that pretty much look like movies you better have the hardware/storage/speed to enjoy it.

So this is like the total opposite of a FitGirl repack? I still don't get what's going on with that install procedure.

This is just another rinse and repeat action game with a Guardians of the Galaxy skin. It won't be anything special. Those trailers were laughable.

Back