Hard Drive Capacity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, I have just had to reinstall my operating system (Windows 98SE) and since then the capacity of my hard drive is not being displayed correctly. I have a 20GB hard disk but the computer is saying that it only has a capacity of 1.99GB. As such I'm having problems installing many programs. Can anyone help so I can get my computer to read the size of the hard disk properly?

OK, a bit more information. I ran Fdisk and it sowed that my full disk capacity is 20GB bu that I'm using around 2GB for a partition. Have I made an error when I was re-installing my OS. If so can I correct it and get full use of my hard disk again without formatting my hard drive?

I laos used Partition Magic and found out that around 18GB of my hard disk is unallocated. How can I allocate this free capaity to my the existing small partition?

Use PM and create a second partition on that HD, using up the rest of the (unallocated) space. You can install other programs there or use it for e.g. MP3 or documents or games etc.

just telling this out of interest because its kind of related.
I had a computer custom built at the local computer fair,
the guys put it together then i went home, installed
everyting i had and such, after a few months i notcied
that the HDD was only displaying as 60GB, instead of
80gb (76gb). I was extremly pissed off about it. :D .
but anyway, i tried running patition managers, they showed
it as an 80Gb drive, but none of the free versions would let
me change anything.

Anyway i came across this DOS Partition manager, and me,
not really knowing ANYTIHNG about dos etc. tried to run
in the XP environment. and TA DA some how my HDD
fixed itself, i got no idea, but that was the best stupid thing
ive ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back