Hard drive claims I used up all the memory space

prluver

Hello I have a weird dilemma, as I was browsing through my computer, I noticed my harddrive space is almost full. Thats odd becaue I haven't used up all the space, I only used around 40-50 gigs out of 250. I went to disc management and next to the hard drive the status says..."Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

Is there something wrong with my hard drive??

Tell us more? Have you run a full disk drive defragmentation using Windows? Have you run any diagnostics?
What is the hard drive brand, and what is the date code on the drive label?
Tell us a lot more about the computer brand and model, and the configuration, please.

If Windows is saying you're using more file space then you think, the logical first place to start is
> Looking at where your file space is getting allocated
> Removing system temp/junk files
> And since this sounds like your C: drive one of the most common culprits is C:\System Volume Information (which will normally show 0 space because, by default, Windows doesn't allow you access

1. What version of Windows are you running? You need to take ownership of System Volume Info folder to see its space. This folder is where Windows saves your System Restores.

2. You can also run a tool like JDiskReport to see where your space is being allocated (and top culprits). Example screenshot
jdiskreport_med.jpg

I wouldn't expect Windows defragging to have anything to do with unknown file space allocation. If anything, you might also run chkdsk /f from command line if it comes down to it but suggest you start with above stuff first

Something like this happened to me once – 487Kb remaining of an almost new 70+Gb hd! I had downloaded a self-replicating virus which made a single 69.7Gb MP3 of itself.

I found it using Search/All files & folders/When modified (I saw it happen - frightening)/Size – without filename. Avast couldn’t scan it but gave me the name: C:\Documents and Settings\Tiriel\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat...

Index.dat files cannot be deleted in the normal way while Windows is running, but there are free programs on the net that will do it for you, if this is your problem.

Hope this helps.

Back