Hard drive nearly full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

I have a 40 gig hhd and I have 4 gig unused. I also have GoBack installed plus the standard Firewall, Norton Works and Communication programs. With the harddrive space nearly used up will the computer run properly or will I experience crashing or games not running properly?

Ray

you may run into problems with any drive or partition once it gets below 15% free space. Its a good idea to keep around 15% free space anyway because most(possibly all?) defrag utilities require 15% free space in order to do their job.

I'd recommend cleaning up a bit of space on that drive. Burn media files(music, vids, etc... to CDs or DVDs) You might also want to give Windows a good cleaning by using something such as Windows Washer to clean up temp files that have been left by previous tasks(I have cleaned over a GB of junk off systems by simply cleaning up temp files)

You should purchase additional disk space. You should also think about better organising your data. You should keep programs and operating systems data away from personal files (documents, mp3s, movies, etc) and keep personal data on another drive.

I do not believe that you have 36GB of applications on there, so it must be because you have personal files taking up that space (Pr0n??). Or perhaps lots of games. Anyway, get another HDD and copy all of your personal files onto that. A 120GB HDD is fairly cheap right now, get one of those. Post back in a new thread if you require help fitting and configuring your new drive. Consider a dedicated games partition as well, if you have to reinstall your OS you don't have to reinstall all games and then repatch them again.

I fully agree.

A new hard drive is the only way to go.

Even if you clean it up, you'll still have a ton of stuff and it will just get full again in the future. It's really worth $65 to get an 80GB drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back