have questions about xp pro x64 and a athlon 64 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsskater892

Hi, I'm building a new system with a amd athlon 64 x2 4800+, and was wondering what the differences are between x64 xp professional and regular xp professional. please help me with these questions:

Is x64 compatible with an x2 processor (i checked specs, but it never specifically says)

Are their any benefits to x64 over regular xp pro?

if their are benifits why is it cheaper.

is their anything else i have to look at for compatibility?

thanks -Nick

Frankly I would wait on it. Just install your 32bit XP and wait for Vista.

The problem is that all your drivers for XP64 need to be 64bit drivers. Meaning EVERYTHING that is a driver, not just external hardware. In other words, you need 64bit drivers for printer, scanner, camera, and software programs that use drivers such as CD burning apps, and even Antivirus.
I think currently only McAfee and Avast have 64bit AV programs on the market.
You can't use CD emulators and so on. A whole mess of things. So you would have to take inventory of every piece of hardware and software you plan to use, and if it has a driver, that driver needs to be 64bit. And if that software has a 64bit version, you need that too.

The second thing is, for regular software that doesn't require drivers, pretty much ALL software minus some titles, is still 32bit and will be until XP64 and Vista64 become more popular. And you will gain NO benefit running regular 32 bit software under XP64.

The only place where XP64 pushes ahead is when everything you run is 64bit. Your computer, XP64, and a 64bit application. Otherwise, XP32 may even run faster.

As for why it's cheaper, I can't say. Maybe the price is low so they can let people expirement before Vista comes out. Maybe they think it won't be sold much after Vista so they are getting rid of it. I don't know.

My advice would be to load XP32 as your primary working OS. And if you like, and want to expirement, load XP64 on a second partition so you can see if your software and hardware will work on it.

There is no main difference between XP32 and XP64 except for the existense of Internet Explorer 64bit version.

Hope that helps.

Vigilante said:
you need 64bit drivers for printer, scanner, camera, and software programs that use drivers such as CD burning apps, and even Antivirus.
I think currently only McAfee and Avast have 64bit AV programs on the market.
You can't use CD emulators and so on.
CD/DVD burning (multiple applications), antivirus, CD/DVD emulators work fine here in XP x64.

And if that software has a 64bit version, you need that too.
It's not mandatory, but it helps.

There is no main difference between XP32 and XP64 except for the existense of Internet Explorer 64bit version.
64-bit Windows doesn't support 16-bit applications at all, so you can't run old applications with it. Some 32-bit applications might have 16-bit installers, too.

thanks guys, sounds like too much work and stuff, im gonna stick with the regular xp pro. How much is vista going to cost when it comes out?

Cost probably similar to XP, but Vista will have some different versions, so it will vary.

About the CD/DVD burning things, well I read someplace that they wouldn't work because of the drivers. But then, maybe the programs have better code or something. I wouldn't chance it. After all, why have 64bit Windows to keep running 32bit apps?

Anyways, the point is, you don't get any benefit, and probably a little loss, when not running 100% 64. Maybe by this time next year it will be ready for prime time. I'm not ready to give up 16bit apps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back