Having Problems with 8 Steps Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisMcNic2!

Right after Superantispyware intalled AVG spotted Trojan horse Downloader.Zlob.AHHM.

Should I go back & uninstall both Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & SuperAntiSpyware then start again with AVG turned off. Also do I make sure after a step that the program used in the last step is turned off before going to the next step.

I think I either goofed or it is just this infection of the fake alerts but then I have been getting all kinds of infections in the last 2 days. I think that the primary infection is importing others. :blackeye:

Well it's good AVG picked up one of the infections
But certainly it didn't save you initially from being infected

As per the guide, I find Avira Antivirus to be better than the slow AVG version 8 (so you may want to take that into consideration)

Normally just scan with Antivirus installed though
If a Virus is picked up by your Antivirus software, the Malware removal programs will stop scanning, waiting for your input

Therefore remove\quarantine any Virus found and then allow the Malware programs to continue scanning

Thanks Kimsland for the quick response.

I'm going to go back to square #1 & start again just to be sure. I have removed 2 programs manually "Web Media Viewer" & "Online Anti Spyware Test" that both magically appeared on or around the time of the infection.

Will Post Logs for review @ the end of the operation.

If you're going back to square one, then again - removing (un-installing) AVG
and then installing (updating and scanning) with the free Avira would be advised

Kimsland thanks, took your advice & upgraded to Avira. It found 32 Threats + gave 1 Warning on it's 1st pass after AVG said I was clean, one of them had been hiding for over a year since it was in a file that was transferred from my old computer. Avira cannot open a file called C:\pagefile.sys , I don't know if this is a problem, but am sending the latest Avira log for review.

CC cleaned out 365 Meg worth & looked pretty clean except for a temp file which was probably just what was accumulated between the 2 scans.

MBAM deleted 44 Threats on the 1st pass & came up clean on the 2nd.

SAS found 10 threats on the 1st pass & 1 on the 2nd pass. Suspect that it is the Tracking Cookie @ Techspot as I was going back to the 8 Step instructions between steps as my old printer does not work in Windows, only in DOS. Tried a 3rd pass without going outside & came up clean. But attaching the 2 logs (1&2)for review.

I have updated my profile to reflect the new computer. I am swtching between the 2 computers using a Trendnet 2-Port PA/2 VVM TK-205k switch, which I think is classified as a switch & not a router.

Logs are attached pls advise if I still have a hidden problem, but I think I may be clean. Fingers are Xed. :)

Wow that response is really thorough :grinthumb

The Pagefile -> Don't worry, this is normal (big swap space file that Windows uses)

I can't see any Virus\Malware present in your HJT log
Although there are a few "zones" that you have allowed (msn and gaming)
You can run IE Reset for that if you like (I don't use MSN games, so I would remove it)
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post682762-2.html

How is it generally going?
I'd say good :)

Being thorough is a leftover from writing workorders (sometimes 10+ pages long) on TRUMP (Tribal Refit, Upgrade & Modernization Program) where a slip or a miss did not sink ships but always came back to bite you in the *** & cost somebody a lot of money plus me having to write an update/revision and/or a Fix to the Fix. :D

Went through all of the Logs & all of the 8 Step programs & cannot see where I had allowed any exceptions but will go into RIES & fix that.

Everything looks OK but my list of previous Games from MSN Zone is not there. I go there for my daily SUDOKU fix.

Will let the computer cook for a couple of days to see if everything returns to normal, if not then I will get suspicious that there is something still lurking in the background still & will go through the 8 Step Computer Ennama Program.

Thanks a lot Kimsland for the help. :)

As an aside: Spell check does not work! I downloaded it but when I try to use it, it comes back with asking me to download it. Did I do something wrong or did it get killed during the cleanup? :confused:

Probably got corrupted
Anyway if you're about to run Reset IE above, all those IE addons will be removed
Which is ok, just download the spell check thingy again

I have been really remiss lately, but got sidetracked by some non-computer problems, but that is no excuse for not putting a close to this matter :blackeye::blush:

Everything is working great, but maybe they should add 2 more STEPS. Everything settled down & started to work right after I gave it the old DOS cure & ran CHKDSK & then DEFRAG.

My New Year's resolution is to start a little payback to the community & give it a little input when I can instead of always asking questions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back