Having problems with my external hd and windows xp fat32 system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just purchased a seagate 250 gb hd with a usb2.0 HDD enclosure. I formatted it at work under ntfs, but at home appartently the op system was formatted as a fat32 (from what i can tell). any help on how to solve this problemm so i can use this drive at home. I don't know what to do anymore as I am not the most computer savy.

if you're running windows 98/me etc.. they wont recognise NTFS filesystem. if you're running windows xp/nt style they should recognise it..

It is windows xp that is what i am having a hard time figuring out. it works at work but not my home computer, this is the only difference i can figure out. my computer at home can tell me the size of it but it won't read anything I have saved on it. i cannot figure it out.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Why don`t you just pop in your Windows disk and reformat on your machine.

It`ll probably work correctly then.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

well i was hoping not to have to start over on my home computer. i just want this external hard drive to be able to work on both my home computer and work computer. this way i can transfer between the two. i also have heard sometihng about fat32 not being able to read partitions over 32 gb. can i switch my fat32 system at home to ntfs without losing any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back