Having problems with USB

Hello everyone, just found this site, and I'm having some problems, so I'll try to explain as quickly as possible. I recently bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex GX280.

I was recently getting a blue screen error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". Ended up reinstalling windows, and that didn't work. I then checked my ram physically, removed it, cleaned it, and now everything is fine, havn't had the error since checking the ram.

But, after the windows install, some things aren't working correctly. I also reinstalled the drivers that came with the computer on a disk. I'm having problems with anything that I plug into my USB's in the front of the computer. Mouse and things like that work fine, but if I plug in a flash drive, or my printer, I get problems.

When I plug in the printer for example, I'll get the "Found New Hardware" balloon, and the "Found New Hardware Wizard appears" so I click next to install. Then I get a pop-up after a few seconds that says that the hardware I'm trying to install "Has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with XP" and gives me the option to "Continue Anway" or "Cancel Installation"

If I continue anyway, it will install, say its done and thats that. But as soon as the install wizard is closed, I'll get the pop up again telling me about the Logo stuff.

If I click Cancel Installation on the Logo popup thing, the install wizard comes up and says there was an error and "the driver cannot be installed because it is either not digitally signed, or not signed in the appropriate manner."

Sorry for making this long, but I'm not very computer literate anymore, and I don't know how to fix this. I'll appreciate any help given, thanks a lot.

What version of windows have you got and what service pack is on your computer also have you updated to the latest drivers for your printer.

i believe i have windows xp service pack 3. and according to the update website, all my drivers are up to date. and like i said, its not just the printer that is giving me problems. flash drives, ipod hook up, printer, etc. all give me the same error.

i believe i have windows xp service pack 3. and according to the update website, all my drivers are up to date. and like i said, its not just the printer that is giving me problems. flash drives, ipod hook up, printer, etc. all give me the same error.
Well, in fact, if New Hardware wizard pops up, means Windows detects a plug and play device missing a driver. Let Windows search for the driver.

When Windows finds the driver and you get the compatability/Logo window just hit continue. Unsigned drivers are commonly found in XP (signed drivers weren't required till Vista and Win 7)

/* edit */
You can also run Windows Update, select Custom, and install the optional hardware drivers it finds. When that Windows Logo testing window appears, click Continue to allow the driver Windows finds to continue to let Windows to install it

/* edit 2 */
If you continue to have problems, plug the device in, and if New hardware wizard starts again, this time click Cancel.

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'll read the one link that was provided, and also go through the steps that were listed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back