Having trouble find mobo for i845GV Chipset. Can anyone give me advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostfuze

I'm looking for a good quality motherboard for my Intel Celeron 2.50GHz CPU. It is the i845GV Chipset. The problem is, is that it HAS to have an AGP slot. I can only find one with an AGPro slot, but the brand is PCCHIPS and it's $37.

Here is the description so you can copy&paste it in NewEgg. (Cant link)
PCCHIPS "M-909G" i845GV Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 478 CPU

Is PCCHIPS a good brand? This board has everything i'm looking for, but im weary of the brand.

Any suggestions would be great. :cool:

go with a name brand, such as intel. $37 sounds suspiciously low (usd, right?). intel discontinued thier 845 line of boards, go 848 or higher. a great board is the intel d865perl, loaded w/features.
The problem is, is that it HAS to have an AGP slot.
is your system oem? finding an agp board should be no problem, excepting oem, barebones, and various micro ATX models.

Will my chipset work on that board you mentioned?

I dont know if it is OEM?? I'm not exactly sure what that means. :( I believe my system is microATX is well.

I plan on gutting my eMachines... taking the CPU, DVD/CD-RW Drive, 256MB RAM, and 60GB HDD and adding it to a new case with a new mobo, 512MB RAM, new copy of Windows XP and Radeon 9800PRO card.

I do not have enough $$ to replace the Celeron 2.50GHz CPU, so I have to work with the Intel 845GV chipset.

you have an oem system, one of limited flaxibility. you'll probably have trouble using some parts from your emachine on a different system, like ram.

you'd be better off if you simply waited until you have more money and then get a better processor/mobo/ram combo. since money is an object: have you considered an amd platform?

How do I know it's OEM for sure, and what exactly does that mean?

So you are basically telling me I cannot use these parts from my emachine? I had all of my new parts picked out for $258 on NewEgg too. Crap.

oem is an acronym for original equipment manufacturer. it means that the parts and system are built to the maker's specifications, not to the universal specs that ensure pc compatibility.
there's no guarentee the parts will or won't work.

After seeing my problem, do you guys think it would be wise to just buy a GeForce FX 5200 256MB PCI card and 512MB RAM to add to my current machine and just make a whole new computer in a year and a half or so?

nein. you'd be way better off not putting a cent into the emachine an going for a new system when you get the money. and when you do, make it a custom/homebuilt one, not a storebought compaq or anything.

I already know which RAM works with my eMachine. Contacted customer support and they told me exactly what kind to buy.

184pin and the stick has to be under 1GB. My mobo on my emachine supports up to 2GB of RAM. Speed has to be 2100 or 2700.

I'm starting to figure if I just add a video card to my emachine now, I can always take this stick of RAM im buying and put it in the new system in a year or so. The PCI card will be under $100, so it will be a decent investment for 1 year + of gaming. If it doesnt end up working when I get it, im just going to return it for a refund. :)

how many of what kinds of expansion slots does your emachine have? post it's model# or something.

I used that Aida 32 to find all of my PC's info... but it doesnt have info on my motherboards name. (Says unknown for some reason..) Ive been searching through for PCI stuff on here, but havent found it yet.

Can PCI graphics cards be used in any PCI slot? or are they like AGP with 2X 4X 8X? I dont want to buy a PCI card if it wont even work in my system.

The FX5200 is a low-end video card. It is sufficient for office applications and some minor games like playing cards. However, it is not much better than integrated graphics. Never heard of Imperial or Trigem. I would recommend a motheboard from Intel or Asus. Many times you are better off spending a little extra on the motherboard, but I would try to not spend more than about $65 -$99. You might be better off with a MB with no integrated video and to use a video card. Even the FX5200 is better than integrated video. I have had good luck using ATI Video cards, but I dont normally use intel motherboards myself.

pci

I think pci would equal agp 1/2x (yes that's half, not 1x/2x). So pci is pretty bandwidth limited. That doesn't mean that no pci video card can play games. Some people say that if a pci video card has a lot of memory(256mb), then it can save enough info on the card ahead of time that the limited bandwidth of the pci bus is cancelled out. I don't know if it's true though, but more memory does equal more performance usually.

I used that Aida 32 to find all of my PC's info... but it doesnt have info on my motherboards name. (Says unknown for some reason..) Ive been searching through for PCI stuff on here, but havent found it yet.
what im asking for is what's physically written somewhere on the case.

again: what model is your emachine?

and a pci express card will not physically fit in a standard pci slot, to answer your question.

mobo

"and a pci express card will not physically fit in a standard pci slot, to answer your question"
Where was he asking about pci express? I couldn't find that.
So, Lostfuse did you decide if your going to get a pci card or get a whole new mobo with agp? Let us know what you chose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back