HBO drops 'Fahrenheit 451' teaser trailer

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HBO started working on a modern film adaptation of Ray Bradbury’s classic novel Fahrenheit 451 more than a year ago. This week, the premium television network shared a teaser trailer for the upcoming flick.

Highlighted in the teaser is one of the novel’s most memorable scenes involving the burning of Crime and Punishment as well as several other controversial books.

Published in 1953, Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian novel in which books have been outlawed and “firemen” are tasked with burning them to suppress the ideas within. When protagonist and firefighter Guy Montag (played by Michael B. Jordan) meets a free-thinking neighbor, Clarisse McClellan, he begins to question everything he knows.

The film also stars Michael Shannon as Captain Beatty, Montag’s superior at the fire department. It is being directed by Ramin Bahrani who recently told the Hollywood Reporter that although the film’s plot strays from the source material, it remains true to the original theme.

"Bradbury's novel was set in the future where he was predicting having screens on the wall that you could interact with," Bahrani told the Reporter. "Social media and supercomputers like my phone are real now... There was no reason to put it in the future; it's just [set in] a strange tomorrow."

HBO’s take on Fahrenheit 451 will debut this spring.

Permalink to story.

Looks interesting. Just hope they do it well (for Bradbury's sake)

I read the book, not gonna bother watching the movie, most likely it will be dissapointing crap.

I remember this being one of the books in our modern english literature class in Junior High. Then I saw the first movie and it was very eye opening ..... now, I'm just surprised anyone really pays attention to it. A bit like George Orwell's 1984 ......

What's "clocked in"?
"Clocked in", is an anachronistic term involving actual gainful employment, whereby an individual reports for work at a location remote from his (*) home, (such as a "factory (**), inserts a identity card into a special timepiece, which then prints the time of arrival upon the card. The same procedure is used once again at the end of the day, to establish the time of that person's departure.

"
"Clocked in", used in a sentence: Oh crap Bob, I "clocked in" 10 minutes late today, I'm certain this rectal port we have for a boss will "dock" my paycheck

This is a time clock:
68eae7fa2e72b5389c6d1dbddce48830--simplex-industrial-office.jpg

Note the slot under the clock face to accept the card, and the red pointer which corresponds to the position where the card will be time stamped.

Notes:

(*) I used the pronoun "his", due to the fact that women were much less uppity during the factory going era, and they stayed home and had babies, which is all they were physically designed to accomplish anyway. Th fact notwithstanding, that in many cases during this period, the husband's income alone was sufficient to provide adequate family income

(**)
A "factory" is a place where many types of goods were manufactured. In some cases, even electronics equipment was manufactured in this country. Of course, this was back in the dark ages, when "vacuum tubes", were used to modulate the flow of electrons inside an electronic "device", instead of transistors or, integrated circuits.

Last edited:
"Clocked in", is an anachronistic term involving actual gainful employment, whereby an individual reports for work at a location remote from his (*) home, (such as a "factory (**), inserts a identity card into a special timepiece, which then prints the time of arrival upon the card. The same procedure is used once again at the end of the day, to establish the time of that person's departure.

"
"Clocked in", used in a sentence: Oh crap Bob, I "clocked in" 10 minutes late today, I'm certain this rectal port we have for a boss will "dock" my paycheck

This is a time clock:
68eae7fa2e72b5389c6d1dbddce48830--simplex-industrial-office.jpg

Note the slot under the clock face to accept the card, and the red pointer which corresponds to the position where the card will be time stamped.

Notes:

(*) I used the pronoun "his", due to the fact that women were much less uppity during the factory going era, and they stayed home and had babies, which is all they were physically designed to accomplish anyway. Th fact notwithstanding, that in many cases during this period, the husband's income alone was sufficient to provide adequate family income

(**)
A "factory" is a place where many types of goods were manufactured. In some cases, even electronics equipment was manufactured in this country. Of course, this was back in the dark ages, when "vacuum tubes", were to to modulate the flow of electrons inside an electronic "device", instead of transistors or, integrated circuits.

I get that you're joking, but the real joke is I work in an electronics factory in the US, and we still have to clock our time. We use RFID badges and keypads now though.

I get that you're joking, but the real joke is I work in an electronics factory in the US, and we still have to clock our time. We use RFID badges and keypads now though.
I was fairly certain your "what's clocking in" query was a tongue in cheek collateral response to my "what's paper" wise crack earlier in the thread. After all you pulled it from that very comment.

And yes, I'm also aware there are electronics factories here in the US. However, it is my understanding that most of these would be involved with high end, and highly specialized devices, such as medical equipment. So yeah, MRI machines are still made here.

However, you'd have to agree, most to all of our more ubiquitous electronic devices, come from China and the Pacific Rim.

Then too, a friend of mine is an electronics engineer, who works at a US electronics factory (*). It is all high end custom stuff though.

(*) Although, IDK if it is a "factory", or a smaller entity.

Last edited:
I was fairly certain your "what's clocking in" query was a tongue in cheek collateral response to my "what's paper" wise crack earlier in the thread. After all you pulled it from that very comment.

And yes, I'm also aware there are electronics factories here in the US. However, it is my understanding that most of these would be involved with high end, and highly specialized devices, such as medical equipment. So yeah, MRI machines are still made here.

However, you'd have to agree, most to all of our more ubiquitous electronic devices, come from China and the Pacific Rim.

Then too, a friend of mine is an electronics engineer, who works at a US electronics factory (*). It is all high end custom stuff though.

(*) Although, IDK if it is a "factory", or a smaller entity.
Its probably a high-mix, low-volume environment. So, not exactly custom, but not mass-produced either. But I'm guessing here, based on what I know of most electronics manufacturing still in the US. If we want 1,000 of them, we outsource. If we want a 3 sets of 12, which each set being slightly different, we keep it in house.

Back