HD wont read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predict

I got a new hard drive. It is a Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM. I am trying to use it as a secondary HD. My first one is ata. When I plug the new hard drive in I plug it in to the group of sata ports that my cd drive is pluged into. Well when I boot the computer it gets to the first screen. Press delete for BIOS or TAB or what ever. At that screen i hit delete and it dosnt work. I think it freezes. If i hit tab it goes to a screen to a different screen, but i cant enter BIOS. It wont load windows off my main hard drive. I cant even tell if it is reading it.

Your computer assumed that the new hard drive was the boot drive and probably substituted it for the master hard drive in its' boot priority list in the BIOS. I had a computer or two do that to me. You have to be very quick with the delete key on some computers to get into the BIOS. When you first boot your computer just tap the delete key once every second or so. If you didn't build your computer you may have to press the ESC key (or some other key) first then the delete key to get into the BIOS. Once you get into the BIOS you'll be able to set the ATA hard drive as the disk with the master boot record and your computer should then boot normally.

Reset your motherboards CMOS by using a jumper or removing the button battery for a minute or two. Remember to unplug the computer from the wall outlet while the battery is out...

The addition of the SATA drive shouldn't keep you from entering the bios, unless your bios is trying to detect and boot from a non-formatted drive

Hello, i am having a similar problam with my HD, only its a Maxtor FireBall 3 ATA/133 40gb, and the bios cant see it at all, it has Win XP pro on it, and it just wont boot from the drive anymor. yesterday it worked just fine.

you might want to take a look at my thread to see my problem

Hard Drive Problems by Zsj

The Maxtor Fireball 3 ATA/133 40 GB is among of the most failure prone hard drives ever made, next to the Quantum which they bought out. It is also very old... somewhere between 5 and 8 years old.
This drive put Maxtor into failure. They were later bought up by Seagate.
But you should assume it is bad, obtain a new drive by Seagate, Western Digital, Fujitsu, Toshiba or Samsung... (Not Hitachi, not Tri-Gem, Not LaCie).
Then put your old drive into a USB enclosure to see if you can drag and drop the data from it... or use recovery software to do that.

thats actually vary funny and sad news!

funny thing: my HD is the most WORST drive ever made, HA HA HA ! ! !

Sad thing: I now need to invest in a new drive, atleast they are cheaper then last year, and the few years before!

Thank you very much for this very valuable information!

lucky for me, i just reformatted this drive not more then 2weeks or so ago! so i dont have any info that needs not get lost!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back