Hdd help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox911

Ok my current hard drive is partitioned into 2 drives, drive c and drive d, On drive c is where i installed windows and i have all my programs, on drive d i just backup all my photo files and some passwords/ music.

I want to format my current hdd and my question is, is there a way to format it and only format the drive C wich has windows on it, and keep drive D unformated? What i would like to be able to do is get all my pictures off drive d after i re-enstall windows on drive c.

WIll formatting DELETE both partitions??

Hi There,

No it will NOT format all partitions! That is the advantage of partitioning! I use it all the time and have about 10 partitions on my system.

All you have to do is boot up from the Windows XP and at the format stage it will ask you to select a partition to place the windows on (Of course this partition will be formatted). Just select Drive C: and everything, on Drive D will remain untouched.

In order to install Windows XP just insert the CD-Rom and from the BIOS select the CD Drive as the 1st Boot Priority. After which you will be asked to press any key in order to boot from CD and once done you will be presented with the installation wizard which will format your Partition C and install windows on it.

Goodluck and let me know if you need any other help!

warning
the system files will be on d drive after a format and install
as follows
at prompt delete partition c
at prompt format same
at prompt install OS
if you leave the d drive undeleted it will become the system drive
your boot ini will be placed there
just for giggles try it and let us know
this will not hurt your system,may slow it down
I just find it annoying and untidy
if you can I suggest saving your data somewhere and deleting all partitions and rebuilding same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back