HDD issues with HP Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknight06

Good afternoon everyone. Just need a few suggestions on a problem I am having diagnosing an issue with an HP Pavilion dv600 laptop. I believe it's just a dead hard drive but want to be sure.

When turning the laptop on, i hear a light screeching sound coming from the hard drive area. In addition, when going to the boot menu, it only recognizes the CD/DVD rom drive and when I go into setup and go to the Diagnostics tab, it says that there is no IDE, so I'm not able to run the diagnostics on the hard drive. The last issue that I'm not sure is related to the hard drive is that the laptop just repeatedly restarts itself after a minute or two of booting up and then sometimes won't come on unless you press the power button at least 3 or 4 times.

Minor specs:
HP Pavilion DV6000
AMD Turion 64
512 RAM
BIOS F.18

It is very common for laptop hard drives to fail like this. You have really no choice but to replace the hard drive first. Hopefully the motherboard is ok... Another option is to take the laptop in for a diagnosis. If you deside to replace the hard drive yourself, make sure you know if the drive is a SATA or IDE type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back